Chapter 17.5: Beguiling Devil

Nis tried as he might to separate Ari from Kaval, but Ari did not budge. A part of him felt guilty for what he had done, but he felt freer than he ever had felt before. Back then, he did not know how much power a name held and gave it away freely along with his blood. He formed bonds with demons he knew nothing about nor their intentions. Now, Ari could start anew. Perhaps, he could start anew with Kaval as well. 

Ari continued to play with Kaval's fingers before bringing them to his lips. Despite everything, Kaval had been with him through his many trials and errors. Maybe what Kaval did was in his best interests, Ari reasoned. Kaval would not do a thing to harm him, traitor or not. This was what he knew to be most true and what he was most sure of than anything in the world. He kissed his fingers and lingered some more, growing restless with each passing second his eyes did not open.   

The pressure of someone's eyes burning into his back made Ari squeeze Kaval's hand tight in his. Ari knew who it was immediately even without him having to turn his head and see. 

"When he wakes and I am gone, he will not like it," Ari said as he rose his head and looked at Nis. 

Nis stood in the doorway watching Ari as he peeled away the skin from an orange. "So you worry for me now?"

"I would not say that," Ari mumbled. 

"Mmm..." Nis shrugged his shoulders and tossed a piece of the orange in his mouth. "Do away with that. You are merely trying to find excuses. Pitiful, really." 

Ari continued to run his thumbs across Kaval's warming skin. He was terribly anxious about leaving him, but he felt the same with Freir. When he left Freir behind, as guilty as it made him feel, a whole new world unfolded before him. 

"I do not mind leaving. It is just leaving Kaval behind with you that worries me."

"And you are saying that as if you have choice in the matter." Nis loomed closer. "But you do not. I merely posed it as such. It is more digestible that way." 

Nis dragged his thumb across Ari's lips before pulling down on his chin and placing a piece of orange inside. "Is it not?"

Ari chewed the orange bit by bit relishing in the sour taste mixed with the bitterness of his thoughts which was swallowed down with the rest of the orange. 

"I am interested in what you will become when left on your own. No outside interferences to steer you in either or direction. Are you not curious as well?"

"I want to become stronger without them. If that is what you are implying then yes. I am curious." 

"Tired of being used?" Nis teased.

"Manipulated and fooled, yes. It only makes me wonder why you would be so willing to help me."

Nis motioned to Kaval. "You do not to realize what a prize Valy truly is. What I am exchanging for him is quite menial in comparison." 

Ari was not satisfied with that answer. Although he knew Nis was not lying, he was not being entirely honest either. Nis reminded him of Auovin in that moment. There had to be more to it. There always was, and Ari was in the dark of things as usual. 

"Another piece?" Nis offered the rest of his orange and smiled. Ari went and grabbed a couple more pieces. 

"I lost him once, you see... And now he is in a tangled mess of things. He has lost his way."

Lost his way? Kaval was anything but lost. He knew what he wanted. Ari asked him time and time again if what he wanted differed from being with him and if so he could leave. He would not think ill of him. Ari plastered on a smirk. Demons and men... what was the difference, really? Ari could no longer tell. One just lived longer than the other.