Chapter 10.3: Darkness

"Perhaps an old friend would like for you to pay a visit," Rein said jokingly. His eyes went to Ari's in an instance, but Ari had no words to offer him. Ari did not want to go down there. However, his curiosity was eating away at him.

Ari looked down the deep chasm of a temple. It was much larger than what it looked to be from the outside. The darkness seemed to go on forever. "There is something ominous down there. That is all I know for certain. But we cannot know what it is unless we go down there and see for ourselves." Ari focused on the sounds coming from inside it, but all he heard was the incessant tapping of water on the cobblestone from last night's rain.

"I will go first," Rein said as he put his hand out in front of Ari." If something happened to you under my watch, Freir would never forgive me and I could not live with myself if that were to happen."

"Because he means everything to you?"

"He is my everything," Rein corrected.

"And that is why you have disliked me for so long? Because I mean something to him so that somehow takes away from you?"

Rein did not bother with his question and started down the pillar. He carefully placed his feet into the notches as if he were descending down a mountain. Once he began to disappear into the darkness where light could not reach, Ari followed him down remembering each notch Rein used. It took a moment for Ari's eyes to adjust to the darkness. Gradually, Ari made out a corridor in great disrepair to the left of them. Its doorway was not caved in like the rest. They could make their way down from there.

"To the left, Rein. Do you see it? A hall." Ari looked around some more. There is no way Rein could make the jump now that he was below the threshold. He would have to find something for him to use. Vines were growing from the sides of the stone. It looked sturdy enough to hold a grown man's weight. Although Ari was wary of the idea, it was the only viable option left other than to make Rein climb back up. "There are some vines. It is close to you. Can you reach it?"

"I see it." Rein reached for a vine and tugged on it for good measure before shifting his body all the way onto it.

Ari leapt from the pillar and onto the stone floor. As he rose, Ari looked around finding some familiarity within those eerie halls. The inside was large and spacious, too wide, Ari thought, for what seemed to be built for humans. There were many pillars; some fallen some upright with vines hanging from their edges and sides. A couple of massive ones held what little roof was left from above. Moss blanketed some stone walls but the corridor Ari was in was free of it. There were markings there. Markings similar to the ones he had seen on Auovin. When he took a closer look at the ground beneath his feet, he noticed there were runes carved even into them. Ari went to touch it, but Rein's grunts stopped him from inspecting any further. He quickly rushed over to the side and helped Rein up the rest of the way.

"I cannot see a thing. Give me a moment to fetch my tinderbox. In the meantime, go find me a stick or some other thing to light."

Ari nodded and took off into the doorway. His curiosity was quelling down all thoughts of fear and caution. His boots kicked over small stones and debris from the ruins as he slowed and walked down the stairs into a room filled with much light from the crack. The small broken window still had bits of its painted glass still intact. It caused of sea of colors to swarm around the sill. Ari walked closer trying to see the kind of figure or picture painted on it, but he was distracted by a snicker.

He closed his eyes trying to hone in on the sound. All he could hear the water dripping from the edges and hitting some fallen stones. When he looked down there were bones and remnants of swords and broken wooden shields. The blade was rusted beyond recognition and the wood smelled of mold. Ari did not want to think much of the bones and what fate befell the person resting here. He shook his head and looked around for more pieces of wood that were not dampened from the rain.