Chapter 11: Twilight

Ari's legs were like lead after a couple hours of running and walking. They burned and ached with each step. He leaned against a tree for support. As much as his legs wanted to give in, Ari knew he had to create as much distance from the encampment that he could. It would be a couple of days on foot before he saw a town. He did not know which direction he was heading in but he followed his instincts. The same ones that probably led Auovin to him many times before.

He stumbled over some rocks, but he caught himself in time to not hit the ground. The skin on his hands scrapped against a jagged tree, in turn, causing him to scrap his hands and bleed. He was tired and his body was already failing him. Slowly, he slumped down against a tree and took in shallow breaths to steady his breath. The cold seeped through his damp clothes and into his bones. Shudders wracked his body quickly after.

Ever since taking Auovin's and Cyrus' blood for the first time, Ari became highly aware of the fact that he wanted it more often each time. The time grew shorter as his cravings increased. He did not like his growing reliance on it but if it is as Sai said, it meant he was getting stronger. That was what he wanted. It was what he needed.... but at what price? Just what would it cost him?

A sound came from a bush nearby him, causing Ari to jump to his feet. The suddenness of his actions made his head spin and fall back onto the ground. Something was very wrong. It was not his lack of blood intake as Ari thought it was. He held his head and tried to shake away the nausea surfacing, but it would not go away. 

"I know what you are and what you will become... " Ari heard a voice say. He took a handful of dirt in his hand and focused on calming his heart. It was the only way he could get back on his two feet. "You know as well as I what I mean."

Alia came from the brushes with a sword in one hand a small blue stone in the other. It made Ari back away at the sight of it. "Do you not?"

Ari furrowed his brows at the woman soaked and wet approaching him. Her hair stuck to her face like a second skin and her eyes held a fire in it, Ari had only seen but once in his life. Truly, she despised him and what he was. Ari should have known he would not have been able to leave as easily as he thought he would with her lurking around. Like the priest, Ari would dispose of her someway somehow. 

He looked at her leg dripping blood and her gait before looking into her dark brown eyes. She was limping. There were bite marks around her calves and ankles. Ari searched for any lesser demons, but he could not sense them. A couple more miles and they would be near demon territory. She was risking her life to get to him and he did not know why.

As soon as she came near, Ari kicked her bad leg from under her and rose on shaky legs. He tried to run, but she caught his ankle and yanked him down on top of her. She flipped them around easily and tried to pry his mouth open with her hands, but Ari bit her fingers. He could taste her blood in his mouth and could hear her stifled groan of pain. He let go and spat out her blood quickly. However, she was back on top of him in less than a second trying to shove the blue stone down his throat. His skin burned and energy seemed to leave his body in droves when she missed and touched the skin on his face. 

Ari freed one of his arms and landed a punch square across her face, causing her to fall away from him. He coughed and crawled away from her to a nearby tree. Somehow, he had to get back onto his feet, but his body had grown heavier. What little energy he had left had faded away. When he coughed up blood, there was blood that time. Ari looked at Alia as he stood when he did. His eyes narrowed and his fists clenched. 

She spat and wiped her mouth. His skin was burning all over now. It traveled from his face down to the tip of his toes. The most intense pain was felt in his back. He could hear nothing but the sound of his own heartbeat drumming through his ears. When took in another breath he could feel energy returning to him. He steadied himself and approached Alia again. He could not leave her alive.