Chapter 5.1: Wonderment

Ari watched Auovin as he distanced himself from the warmth of the hearth, attempting to make his way toward the exit. Leaning against the sturdy stone walls for support, Auovin faltered, nearly collapsing if not for Cyrus, who caught him. Ari averted his gaze, focusing his narrowed eyes on Freir and Rein, who stood nearby, exchanging glances. It was clear to Ari that they were scheming something, and with Auovin in this weakened state, unsettling thoughts crept into his mind.

"Cyrus, we cannot stay here. We must leave further into Dantic," Auovin said.

"I know," Cyrus replied, "but not in your condition."

Ari flicked his eyes to Rein and stood in his way just as Rein took another step forward.

"Not another step," Ari said.

"Oh, you have grown insolent," Rein growled, but Freir pushed Rein behind himself.

"Because I will not listen to your lies any longer?" Ari hissed.

"Rein, leave the boy alone." Freir turned to look at Ari. "We are not planning to do anything but take you home back with us to see Nolan. That is all."

As tension mounted in the room, Inge's unexpected entrance through the door appeared to have a calming effect. In tow, he carried a lifeless ceere and two struggling wyhils fighting to stay alive. His hair, freshly washed and neatly combed, complemented his composed appearance. Ari couldn't help but notice a certain feminine appeal about Inge as he stared a bit closer, but he quickly dismissed the thought, refocusing on the situation at hand.

"Dinner is served," Inge grinned, but the smile faded as he caught the expressions on everyone's faces, especially noticing the disapproving looks from Rein and Freir.

"What? Do you not like meat?" Inge walked up to Rein, smiling. "If you prefer something else, I can surely get it for you."

"You stay away from him," Freir hissed, but Inge ignored the demand and pressed closer.

"Inge, enough!" Auovin's voice cut through the tension. "Come and help Cyrus in the kitchen."

Ari covered the side of his face with his hands and walked over to Auovin, assisting him to the ground. They were not going anywhere and being in such a small cabin with people who held mutual disdain for one another made Ari realize that it was going to be a very long day.

"If you do not keep your people in line," Freir warned, "I will put them there myself."

Cyrus stalked towards him, but Auovin raised a hand. "No need for such violence, pet. Leave him be. Sate Inge's appetite. She is eyeing the other human as food."

Cyrus sighed, nodded, and followed Inge into the kitchen.

"Humans, if you want to eat, grab a carcass and follow me into the kitchen," Cyrus said. As soon as Ari witnessed them disappearing into the larger room, he redirected his attention back to Auovin.

"She... " Ari mumbled, "... no, he is a he..."

"She is a woman."

"Was, I am sure, but he is a man now. It is best if you learn to respect that." Ari had a bit of familiarity with such things. Though women were accepted in the Khaeo, they were not treated with the greatest respect, so some cross-dressed. Others defined themselves as men, but many of his brothers never paid much thought to it and laughed. To them, they were not "real" men. Ari stared at his own hands and furrowed his brows finally coming to understand how they may have felt even just a little bit.

Auovin met his gaze, lowering his eyes as a smile played on his lips. "And I am to be lectured by you now? You, who did not know who he was just a couple days ago?"