Chapter 10.4: Judgment

Inge grabbed his hand. Ari pulled back thinking he was trying to bring him closer. Instead, Inge took the dagger and sliced into his hand. Inge threw him back towards the wall and strode toward the coffin. All Ari could do was hold his hand and look on. His heart was drumming through his own ears and his hands were shaking. However, Ari knew he could not let whatever Inge was trying to do come to pass.

Ari rose on shaky legs and steadied himself against the wall. Once his nerves settled, Ari said the only word that would stop him in his tracks. Cyrus once told him how when they loved it was ever-lasting. Perhaps with a one-sided love as well. Ari would just have to try and see just how his deep his feelings were for him went. There were no other options left open to him. 

"Rein."

Inge spun around and looked at their surroundings. He sniffed and growled.

"You think I'm stupid, kitten?"

"No... Rein... He is here and I am sure he is trouble."

Inge paused at the step he was about to climb. His brows furrowed.

"Why did you take him down here?" Inge hissed.

"Because of my curiosity. Because Auovin refused to tell me all that I wanted to know, so I went looking for the answers myself. But that should be the least of your concerns. Rein is in here somewhere looking for me. He would not leave without me." 

"Curiosity? Well, are you not curious now?"

"Inge--"

 "Come, take a peek. A quick look-see. You are here now, after all." 

He stepped back down the stairs and yanked Ari up towards the coffin causing Ari to pull away from him. Inge dragged him up the stairs no matter how much Ari dug his heels into the dirt. He was far too strong for Ari to resist. Soon as they were at the top, Inge threw Ari onto the floor near the coffin. Ari instinctively backed away, but Inge brought him back onto to his feet and pushed his head into the coffin. 

There was nothing but bones and cobwebs. Ari lurched backward, causing Inge to laugh and hit his knees. 

"Did you think he was in there? Truly?" Inge wiped his eyes. He smiled and walked closer to Ari, but Ari moved away. 

"So you do not believe me? That Rein is here?"

"You do not believe me that your father is here?"

"He is not," Ari barked. "Freir is. What blood we share means little to me." 

"You never even met the man and yet you hold him in such bleak light. Shame on you." Inge tapped his nose and went on and dropped his blood into the coffin. Nothing happened which made Inge look to Ari, but Ari was already rushing down the steps. 

Inge sucked on his teeth before he threw away the dagger and jogged down the stairs after him. He grabbed Ari's wrist but Ari snatched it away from him. Ari fumbled on the stairs going into another corridor, allowing Inge to catch up to him. Inge tackled him to the ground. The burn of the stone on his skin now hot and dripping blood seared through him. Ari struggled out of his tight hold and tried to get from under him, but Inge grabbed his leg and yanked him back. 

"Seems like I need more blood than that," Inge whispered in his ear before Ari brought his head back and slammed it into Inge's face. Quickly, Inge let go of Ari and held his nose. Ari smelled the stench of iron permeating the air now.  He paid no mind to Inge as he rose, disoriented. There was a straight shot out of the corridor and Ari was going to take. As soon as he was down the hall, demons blocked his way. They were things Ari had never seen in all his years.