Chapter 9.3: Ardor

Ari paced around the room in deep thought over the words Auovin said to him some odd hours ago. Auovin had said he would not change. He would continue to do those terrible things. It was a growing worry for Ari. What if one day their conflicting views would set them apart or against one another? Ari did not want that and the very thought made his stomach turn. There had to be a reason for why he was the way he was. If Ari could find out what it was then maybe he could find a way to redirect him elsewhere. Ari did not want him to become like Ylanan.

The sun dimmed in the darkening night sky. Soon the stars would be out Ari noted as he looked out the window. He searched for Cyrus, growing more worried by the hour. He should not have left him back there with that demon. Something about Ylanan gave Ari goosebumps. Ari rubbed his arms and left out the room. He should look for him. That may be the reason why Auovin had disappeared as he slept. Although they seemed to be at odd with one another these days, Ari could tell that Auovin's love for Cyrus ran deep; deeper than any river or fissure.

Auovin was kind as he was malicious which confused Ari. Auovin would say such mean words and then soothe his aching heart with kisses that made him writhe. It made Ari feel uneasy. What could Ari do about his feelings growing massively stronger by the passing days when Auovin was that kind of person? But just what kind of person was he, exactly? Auovin was a growing mystery to him.

As soon as Ari walked into the living room, he saw Sai looking out the window. Auovin was nowhere to be found. Sai turned and looked at him as if sensing his presence.He was as pretty as ever, Ari could not help but think. Just like them, Ari felt as though Sai was hiding things from him as well. Ari did not understand the need for it. He was not a child and he did not need to be coddled. It was true what Cyrus said back then. Auovin did coddle him just as Sai was now.

"You have questions... " Sai mumbled. Ari only went and sat on one of the chairs in the dining room.

It was quiet all but for Sai's footsteps going from the living room to the kitchen. In the next minute, he came out with a ripe bowl of strawberries and sat it down right in front of Ari's face. An unbidden smile crept onto Ari's face which caused Sai to have the most amused look on his face.

"What?" Ari said as he began to stuff his face with sweet juicy fruits.

"You are predictable, so it makes you very easy to manage... is all."

"Auovin and you," Ari said, getting to the point. "What are you to one another?"

"You were raised by humans, so you think there is a fine line between certain relationships... but it is different with us."

"You were once lovers?" Ari said, disregarding his words.

Sai shook his head no. "A kiss does not have to be one of love. It could be out of friendship or to express the closeness to one another. Intimacy is something we, as blood demons, and something we all want in every form."

"Friends then?"

"Yes."

"Then why do I see such love in your eyes when you speak of him?"

"Can I not love a friend or must love be strictly for lovers?"

Ari sucked on his cheek and looked at Sai.

"You are jealous," Sai laughed. "It is as he said it was."

"But you are not any longer, why?" Ari said, ignoring him.

"He wanted something I did not want. I wanted to live in peace and leave what terrible past we had far behind us. However, he cannot seem to forget. But, then again, how could he?" Sai sighed. "He was once great and he was once very kind and giving. But time has made him the way he is now. His wounds have festered and spawned new pain of their own."