Chapter 6.4: Dark Night

"Inge, stop," Koli said pushing Inge away from Ari. "Auovin would not let you breathe for another moment if he finds out you even put a scratch on his face, so why are you doing this?"

"He needs to learn some manners," Inge snarled.

"Yet you possess none yourself," Koli said.

She turned her head to Ari who still kept his hand firmly on the hilt of the dagger behind his back. It was as Freir said it would be. None of them could be trusted. Since coming here, Ari had been doing nothing but defending himself. It only strengthened his belief that he did not belong here along with them. 

"But he is right, kitten. That pretty tiger would have swallowed you whole and spit out your bones when through." Koli walked around him and placed her hand onto to the hand that was grabbing at the dagger. "There is no need for violence. Inge will not do a thing. I will not either." 

Ari rested his hands at his sides and looked on at the strange woman assessing him with a finger to her lips. 

"Do not be so foolish to think Auovin would choose you over his lover for over three hundred years. He may kiss on other necks, but Cyrus is the one he always goes back to."

"He says it is not love," Ari muttered. 

"He says a lot of things," Inge said. 

"And it is not the only reason why he wants you... as pretty and new as you are." She sniffed Ari's neck causing him to move away from her with furrowed brows. "You are young as you are stupid. You should not have come." 

She backed away from him and smiled. 

"I know I should not have... I do not belong here," Ari said. 

"No, you do," Inge said keeping his distance. 

"The markings on your back. The marks there," Koli said as she slid her hand down his back causing Ari to jolt away. "You come from old blood."

"What does that mean?" Ari asked.

Koli looked at Inge before he crossed his arms and nodded. 

"The Ancients. As old as Auovin," Koli said.

"That is why Stein had been so interested in you. He did not want you for your body. He wanted to have a taste of your blood," Inge said. 

Ari turned his head towards him with wide eyes. 

"Inge kept your friends here because they are the only ones who can take you back. He means well, Ari. Well, for the most part."

Ari's mind was racing. He did not know what to make of their words and what they were saying to him. Ari had known Auovin had wanted him for certain reasons, but he did not think it went anything past desire. But it made sense what they were saying to him. Auovin had been injured greatly because of him. He would not have risked his life just because he found him appealing. No, it was much more than that. The sound of Koli's voice brought him out of his thoughts.  

"So what you can do for us is to leave." 

"I cannot."

"Why can you not?" Inge said with a temper threatening to make its way to the surface. 

Koli laughed and shook her head. 

"Is it because of Cyrus...? Auovin and his damned tempestuous nature. He is like a snake! Do not become beguiled by it."

"I know what he is," Ari said, confident.

"No," Inge shook his head. "I do not think you do. If you did, you would not be here drooling over the way he says your name or coils your hair around his fingers."