“Was he serious,” I asked Ranger and he nodded. Mr. Julius took a pair of handcuffs from the briefcase and laid them on the table. “Anyone know what these are,” Mr. Julius asked and no one answered. “These are handcuffs made by our technology spies. They are built to track in case your victim tries to escape. This is a two piece set. One piece would be in the spy’s ear,” Mr. Julius said holding a small clear earpiece. It had a metal rim around the edges. “With this piece you can send shock waves to the person wearing the handcuffs. I want you to write this down in your notebooks. This two piece device set that can track and shock your captive is called the Cutri4000,” Mr. Julius said and I wrote what he said down.

“Now our technologists are working on a way to shrink the handcuffs to crush your enemies bones while in battle. If everything goes well that device should be out in three months. Remember weapons are only to be used in extreme situations. We are spies not assassins,” Mr. Julius said and wrote a few notes on the board. When the class finally ended I turned to Ranger who was already standing up. “Don’t these weapons sound really complicated? Why can’t we just crush the bones ourselves,” I asked. Ranger and I walked out of the classroom ignoring the loud noise.

“I guess we could do that but the points of the handcuffs were that our enemy wouldn’t know they were special. If someone had you handcuffed you would try to break free right,” he asked. I nodded and Ranger said, “Well that way we, as spies, could crush your wrist bones without taking our eyes off another target.” “Have you ever been on a mission,” I asked. Ranger looked down at me with a smile and said, “I wish. I could’ve gone once but Fran couldn’t go so I stayed behind. I don’t regret it though because Fran was really fragile back then.” “You barely know her. How could you give up an opportunity like that for a stranger,” I asked.

“I asked myself the same thing too but Fran was so nice to me. I was a mess when I first got here and she took care of me. I guess I owed her,” Ranger said and looked up. “Speaking of the bunny there she is,” Ranger said loud enough for Fran to hear. She turned around with a smile and when we walked up to her she held out a piece of paper to Ranger. He took it and said, “Congratulations Fran.” “What is it,” I asked. “Fran’s specialty is technology and her exam was to send in a creation of hers. She sent in a mini robot to cater to spies and the technologists are going to improve it. This is great Fran. Now you’ll be able to design all types of coolness,” he said and Fran giggled. 

“So what’s your specialty,” I asked. “Hands on like you. People can either be hands on, behind the scenes, or technologists,” Ranger said. “How do you know I’m hands on,” I asked. “It was on the bottom of your schedule,” he said. Oh. The three of us walked into class and there were a few chairs in a semi circle. A lady with long red wavy hair and green eyes was smiling. “Evangeline right,” she asked walking up to me. “Yes,” I said and she shook my hand. “I’m Ms. Emarti the acting teacher as you can probably tell. This is a very open class and I hope you’ll enjoy it,” she said with a smile. “I hope so too,” I said and she let go of my hand. “Fran make sure she’s well taken care of ok? I will get you to sing in my class,” she said and walked away.

Fran gave me a don’t ask look and the three of us sat toward the left edge. Kacy walked into the class with her skirt way too short and her vest so tight I thought it would pop any second. Then again I’m not one to judge. At least she looked better than the crack heads I used to work with. Hank walked into the room and caught me looking at him. He gave me a smile and I politely returned it. It was just a smile right? Hansel was pushing Hank to go through the door and they took their seats. “Ok class does everyone know our new student,” Ms. Emarti asked. I felt everyone shift their gazes on me but I remained expressionless.