20th: Bitter Than What was Expected

Start from the beginning

"But did you so much aware of the consequences?"

"Yes, I did. That's why I'm able to keep it to myself."

Teressa nods, she then read one of the files. "Do you think she's a good person?"

"She — she's not too bad nor too good."

"Is that so? Then why does this seem to indicate that you aren't too familiar with her?"

I glare into her eyes. "I am an introvert, I have difficulty adapting with other people."

Before she gave further questions, Hanna interrupted her. "Actually, what has Marianna done?"

"She is allegedly not worthy of being a foster parent for David Wilson."

"You mean like a child abuse?" Hanna asks.

Teressa look at us skeptically. It seems like she is not only looking for answers but also analyzing each of our words "I'm afraid so, Hanna. There were bruises on David's body. He is ten years old. And also we found the smell of beer in his jacket. Do you know enough about what might be possible for Marianna Stewart did to your sister?"

Teressa's question was a blow to the gut to Hanna. She's shrinking. All the flashes of guilt were exposed in her eyes. "I was too busy with college, internships and my job for the past two years."

I won't blame her for that.

"Then—" I quickly shifted the situation. "Where is she now? Did the police have her arrested? "

"The police are still studying on the case and looking for relevant evidence for detention. But in the meantime she is being watched and cannot leave Ravenswood."

"I need to see her." Hanna says. When I turn around, she looks furious. "I want to see Marianna. Can I do that?"

"Of course. Maybe it's better if there's something you can add you need to meet the Ravenswood police department."

"I don't think it's necessary." Hanna look at me at a glance. "I just want to ask her something. Something very important that my sister might never tell me."

##

Despite looking super tired, Hanna remained adamant about meetings Marry by taking an hour's journey to Ravenswood. Sensing my sister's tiredness made me unable to ignore it. "Let's just pull over and take a beat. We don't need to rush to meet her. Teressa said she is not allowed to go out of town."

"Yeah, you don't need to remind me. And actually you don't need to come along, Chloe." She says flatly.

"I just don't want you to be alone." I murmur.

Hanna let out a sigh and run her fingers through her hair. "What happened last night has nothing to do with you, regardless of the possibility of your connection with it. Everything is resolved and I am doing my duty as your guardian now."

"But—" I look away slightly. "Are you really going to be okay? What if A.D traps you and bring his body to the police? Doesn't that mean you.. you're gonna go to jail, again?"

She knew that what I said was true. Therefore, whenever she can't find the right answer, she constantly avoids making eye contact, like she always did. "It won't happen, okay? I promise. And whatever the odds are, that won't touch you."

I say absolutely nothing. She already looks pretty stressed with all of this matters. Maybe this is the time for me to try to be a good sister at a time like this.

Hanna pulls the car on the driveway.

The postbox that reads Stewart now looks different. Marry must have painted it from black to blue.