20th: Bitter Than What was Expected

Teressa Rogers is far different from what I expected. The woman looks like in her early 40s. She is an afro-american and has a good decent working style. Just in one look, anyone could have assumed she's a busy woman.

She came visit just like what she said on the phone.

But it was rather a little annoying when she came an hour before lunch.

"So, what can I help you, Mrs. Rogers?" Hanna asks after we waited for the woman to read the file for about five minutes after her arrival.

She looks up slightly behind her rimmed thick glasses, making her look like she was staring from her nose. "I'm not married yet, and you can call me Teressa, Miss Marin."

"Fine, Teressa. You can call me Hanna because there are two Marin here." My sister pointing at me and herself.

Way of the beginning of serious conversation.

Teressa smiles for a moment then put down the file. She takes off her glasses and look at us alternately. "I apologize for contacting you suddenly for urgent reasons like this. But I am in duty of evaluating Marianna Stewart, if you are pleased to be in the corporation."

Hanna and I changing glances at each other. "What can we do for you?" I ask.

"I won't bother to explain it from the beginning about your profile, Chloe. I will ask the important ones. So, for the past two years you lived with her. Was there something you complained about?"

I swallow hard and take a brief glance at my sister. She is also waiting for my answer. "I'm sorry, I think I need you to be more specific, Miss Rogers?" I ask her back softly.

"Something that might be inappropriate and requires you to report it?" She presses.

"She-she is a heroin addict." I blurt out.

Hanna turns her face and sigh. This kind of stuff burdens her too.

"I understand. That is written and investigated. And may I ask why you didn't report that situation to your guardian and parents?"

The woman's gaze was firm and intimidate.

I can't stop twisting my fingers underneath the table. I look at my sister, hoping she could find a way out because if I told the truth, it would be possible that aunt Marry would tell the social service about my involvement with drugs. I can be sentenced to probation. And as far as I know, big boss and A.D. have something to do to ruin me.

"Because... I have no other choice." I tell her.

She nods her head slowly. "Could you elaborate more on that terms, Chloe?"

"Aunt Marry—" I start off, even though I was nervous. "She is not a good influence, but at least she wanted to took me in. I'm sure you have my bad record in Ravenswood high. She was willing not to report it to my parents because I begged her."

Teressa listened carefully. She doesn't interrupt me at all. "My parents, they divorced and always quarreled if they had different point of views, I mean all husband and wife do, but I couldn't make them fight because of me. I've felt bad enough about the mistakes I made. Mom must blame Dad for making me stay with an addict and dad must have always made a stupid solution that wouldn't be fair in my luck. Everything would be fell apart and I have been traumatized enough to see them yelling to each other."

It seems like she buys my alibi because Teressa look at me pityfully. Likewise with Hanna.

I should have known that I was good at acting.