1st: Pilot

A morning drizzle has broken my thoughts. Some relatives and close friends might have waiting until the funeral ceremony began. The thick atmosphere of mourning further made me sick of having to be in a place where I couldn't bear to be there constantly.

I stared at reflection in the mirror. I'm sick of the clothes I have to wear today. I don't know what's wrong with me. But deep down, I knew what was the reason.

A soft knock in my bedroom door made me twist around to see who was standing in the doorway. Hanna, my sister who's also wearing the same colored dress as mine now waiting for me. Her forced smile and swollen eyes looks so pitty on see.

"Dad's been waiting." She says.

I stare at her again. Even on a day like this she looks very good in her attire. I didn't understand how she could manage herself to be more calmer.

I didn't say anything, but I go passing her to rush down the stairs. Dad's been waiting. Isabell, his new wife, and even Kate standing nearby.

I look at my father flatly when he smiled sympathetically at me. I shook my head as he reached out to hold my hand. My feet step up towards the car that parked in front of the house.

As i look up, the sky is cloudy.

##

Pastor Ted, my late mother's former fiance's reading his prayers and sermons before the officers took down the cascet. I didn't listen to what he was saying. My eyes were fixed on the cascet that is ready to be lowered.

A small breeze made me realize that I had dropped my tears quietly. I turned my head sideways to wipe my eyelids, I didn't want anyone sees me crying. I hated to cry in front of other people, especially in front of many people here.

My estimate turned out to be wrong. Big, strong hands suddenly held me softly. I look up to see whose hand it is.

Mike Montgomery smiled lightly at me, his other hand extend to rub my eyelids. It feels like being touched by a magical thing. I blinked to see him staring at me. I know he's wanting to provide security and comforting.

The coffin began to be lowered. I saw Dad and Hanna, who looked more emotional stood side by side. They threw the lump of dirt into the grave. Even Pastor Ted do the same.

Mike's squeeze made me realize that I have to do it either. He invited me to look down to pick up a lump. And together, we threw it.

##

Mike offered me a ride home wich it's good because I was avoiding other people, I agreed to his invitation. At first I thought he would take me to another place to entertain me but he really drove me home.

Mike pulled the hand brake and turned off the ignition when we're arrived in front of my house. Throughout the trip we didn't talk to each other, even by now, we just starred at each other.

"Umm, thanks for the ride." I say nervously.

Mike pulled a sweet smile. The smile that I always remember. When I used to had a crush on him. Before all bad luck happened. "You're welcome."

"You ... umm, do you want to stop by? I can make you a cup of coffee."

Mike broke his smile. "Strong coffee with a spoonful of cream latte?"

I realized I'm smiling too. Maybe this is what people means by getting nostalgic. "Of course." I says. "You might need a real Americano, too."

He chuckled. For a while, we forgot that I should have come down and entered the house.

"Are you okay?" The joy from his face nowreplace by sympatheic stares.

"Yeah, a little." I say frankly.

"Do you need a company?"

Tantalizing offer.

"No." I say regretfully. "I want to be alone."

Mike nodded. "Call me if you need anything?"

I swallowed hard before answering him. "Certainly."

I unbucked the seat belt before opening the door. My hands actually feels stiff. Slowly, I lowered my hands and turn around to Mike who's quietly watching me.

His eyes looked at my lips and a miracle came up to me since i felt like those beautiful eyes pulling me inside. I feel the joy as his hand starting to caress my face softly. My heart's uncontrollably racing out as soon as his hand began to occupy the back of my head.

But my grief's greater than my pleasant.

"Bye, Mike." I say in regretted tone.

He reluctantly pulled his hand away, "Bye, Chloe."

I rush out of his car. My heart's racing against the time when I realized I was using my ex-crush as a distraction to divert the grief I was feeling.

I'm being selfish, like I've always been.

My heels almost hassled me. I staggered a little after accidentally stepping on a big rock. The sensation of dizziness spread through my head. I should have had breakfast this morning.

I reached into my purse when I heard the incoming message from my phone.

A message from the block number.

As soon as I opened the attachment, my mouth drop open in disbelief. A picture of an open packet of a dead rat appeared along with the words.

WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO WEIGHT THIS IN AND DELIVER IT?

No, this couldn't be happening again...