Chapter Thirty-Eight

Jungkook was wrapped in Taehyung's arms as they slept, his back facing the older but pressed against his chest with his arm hugging him against his body under the warm covers. The pair was peacefully sleeping, the darkness consuming them.

Taehyung had cracked a window last night, the room feeling too stuffy and hot and allowing the cool autumn air slip through. Being in the cold helped Jungkook sleep better anyway, so he wasn't at all complaining.

Thunder rumbled through the dark skies, jolting Jungkook awake with a racing heart. Lightening flashed across the sky, lighting up the room for less than a second. The boy only sighed when he realized it was just a thunderstorm passing by.

He released a calming breath as he tried to lull himself back to sleep, Taehyung's arm around him tightening and pulling him closer in his sleep. The ravenette only smiled as he pulled the covers up to his mouth, inhaling the lingering scent of sandalwood that belonged to Taehyung.

Jungkook opened his eyes to see the time on the clock on Taehyung's nightstand, but catching a glimpse of a silhouette just outside their window. He felt his heart drop as he blinked, only for the shadow to disappear.

He had sat up quickly, forgetting about Taehyung for a second as the alpha groaned and opened his eyes, staring up at the boy with furrowed eyebrows. "What's wrong?" He asked, voice gravely from sleep.

Jungkook didn't say anything as he stared at the window for just a second longer, wondering if the shadow would make a reappearance, but it never did. "N-Nothing," He whispered, lying back down but his eyes didn't leave the window, not feeling paranoia course through him.

Taehyung noticed the way Jungkook's voice was wobbly and hushed, his eyes glued to the open window as he brought the covers up to his mouth, as if he were trying to hide underneath them, "You sure it's nothing?"

The boy forced himself to look away to gaze back at Taehyung, only nodding a forcing a smile that he hoped would be convincing enough. It seemed to be because Taehyung only nods and wraps his arms around the smaller again, burying his face in the back of Jungkook's neck as he tries to fall back asleep.

However, Jungkook couldn't stop staring at the window, knowing for sure what he saw wasn't a figment of his imagination. As much as he wanted to convince himself it was, he knew what he saw wasn't something he was just imagining.

Telling Taehyung wasn't what he thought needed to be done, though. Maybe he was imagining it because he was so tired and it was three in the morning. He tried to forget about it by forcing himself to close his eyes and go back to sleep.

His eyes snapped open when he heard what sounded like tapping on the window, lifting his head off his pillow and looking over to see nothing. Rain poured from the skies and pattered against the roof and window, thunder rolling again as lightening began to strike.

It's just the rain. You're okay. This is all Jungkook has been telling himself ever since he saw that silhouette just outside the window, paranoia only taking control and coming up with every possible scenario in his head.

He looked over his shoulder and saw how Taehyung was fast asleep yet again, not even hearing the tapping against the glass. Jungkook knew he wouldn't be able to sleep if the window remained opened, so he managed to slip out of Taehyung's grasp, which only caused the alpha to wake up.

His eyes fluttered open as he watched Jungkook crawl out of bed. "Baby?" The blond grumbled, forcing his eyes to stay open as Jungkook turned around and leaned over the bed, placing a kiss to his forehead.

"It's raining. I'm shutting the window," He whispered before turning and walking towards the window, pulling it shut and making sure to lock it just in case, only to make himself feel better about what he's been seeing and hearing.

He peered out it, scanning his surroundings outside to see if he saw anything out of the ordinary. With everything happening, Jungkook felt like he had the right to feel scared and paranoid. He couldn't help it as he peeked outside the glass, only seeing rain falling and trees moving due to the high winds.

He couldn't seem to step away from the window, even as lightening strikes the skies with a loud clap of thunder. "Get away from the window, Koo," Taehyung said, the words barely reaching Jungkook's ears, but enough to obey and step away from the window after closing the curtains.

He slipped back under the covers that Taehyung had opened for him, covering him up and wrapping his arms around the boy again. Jungkook buried his face in Taehyung's chest, feeling safer with the man's arms around him.

"Did you see something?" The elder asked quietly, voice softer than before since he had been awake for a little bit now. Jungkook peered up, staring into Taehyung's dark eyes as he internally debated if he should mention the shadow and tapping of the glass window.

Maybe it was just the rain and his imagination getting the best of him, so he decided to not say anything as he shook his head and smiled up at the alpha, "No, everything's good."

The older planted a chaste kiss to the boy's forehead as he nodded, pulling him against his chest some more as he held onto him in a protective manner, "Go back to sleep, love."

And Jungkook did just that, able to convince himself it was only the rain and him being tired that caused him to imagine everything that happened tonight. Though, when the tapping on the window rang through Jungkook's ears, he couldn't help but look over and see that same figure outlining through the curtains.

What had distracted him was what sounded like something falling down the hall, which had Taehyung lifting his head from his pillow and staring at the door. "You heard that too, right?" The alpha asked, earning a nod from Jungkook.

Taehyung was quick to throw the covers off his body and swing his legs over the edge of the bed, walking towards the door and swinging it open, leaving behind a paranoid Jungkook alone on the bed.

The ravenette stood from the mattress and made his way to the open bedroom door, peeking his head around the corner and seeing Taehyung searching the halls, only to find nothing. The pair was wide awake now as Taehyung made his way back to their room, looking over his shoulder every now and then.

"See anything?" The boy asked, only for Taehyung to shake his head as he entered their bedroom again, locking and closing the door behind him before glancing at the window.

"Didn't you shut the window?" He gestured to the cracked open window with his chin, which had Jungkook spinning on his heel and seeing it was no longer closed.

This had Jungkook furrowing his eyebrows, staring at the window as a clap of thunder vibrated the air around them, "I-I did. You saw me, didn't you?"

Taehyung nodded as he walked around the boy and to the window, looking out it as he shut and locked it. "Did you see or hear anything out there?" He asked him, only for Jungkook to shake his head as a response.

Tell him. His wolf wouldn't leave him alone, his gut telling him to come clean and tell the other about everything he had witnessed in just the hour he had been awake, but he convinced himself it was just the storm and part of his imagination.

"Maybe it's nothing," The blond-haired alpha said, eyeing the window suspiciously as he reached out for Jungkook, eyes never leaving the glass as the boy walked into his arms. "Let's go back to sleep."

RevengeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara