Chapter Twenty-Eight

"I want someone to keep an eye out overnight," Taehyung stated firmly, livid as his blood began to boil under his skin. Jungkook hadn't seen him this angry before, and it scared him a little because he knew what the alpha was capable of. "I want three people to take shifts on every corner possible."

Finding another body was how their day started, and no one still hadn't seen a thing. Taehyung had made sure everyone was inside the pack house and in their bedrooms before he went to bed himself.

Many people were scouting their territory, making sure there wasn't anything suspicious or that seemed different to them. They were being cautious, and Jungkook couldn't really blame them. He was scared too because it wasn't only Taehyung's pack that was being hit.

That morning they had found someone who had been a part of Mystic Shadow their whole life. Waking up to this had ruined everyone's day before it even started, and everyone was paranoid and feared they were next.

Jungkook wanted to reassure them they were safe, but he couldn't make such a promise. He too was terrified he was next on the list, and the thought alone scared him to the point he was so paranoid, he didn't even want to go to the old pack house and continue with his piano lessons.

Instead, he had convinced Taehyung they should stay put and keep an eye on everyone just in case if they were hit again that day, which was highly unlikely since whoever was doing this had a weird but thought out schedule.

It used to be every other week, then it started out as every two weeks, then it was twice a week. Jungkook tried seeing if there was a pattern so maybe they would be able to predict the next time they were going to strike, but the schedule made no sense to him.

There was no way they would be able to figure out when they were going to hit again, and that only killed them more. Not knowing is what bothered them all the most, but there wasn't much they could do at this point.

Jungkook only listened to Taehyung because he had been alpha longer than him, so he had to know what's best for everyone. Right? That's all he could hope for, and he trusted Taehyung would be able to find whoever was doing this and put a stop to it.

"I want three people at each post," Taehyung had continued on after they had properly cleaned up the crime scene just right outside the pack house, burying the body and paying their respects, "I want you all to take shifts. If you see anything unusual, I need to be informed immediately."

Jungkook had his eyes set on Taehyung, listening to every word he spoke with such authority that it made Jungkook wish he could do the same, but there was no way he could sound like he was clutching on to so much power.

That was another thing that was different between the two alphas. Taehyung had been alpha for many years, while Jungkook had been alpha for barely three months now. He didn't know how to be assertive and show power, while all Taehyung knew was how to show authority.

Jungkook then began to take notes from the elder, seeing how everyone seemed to listen and obey him, and it made Jungkook wish he had that from his pack as well. He didn't feel like he had them standing behind him, but more like standing against him, pushing back and resisting change and reality.

"You know exactly who you are, and I don't want any slacking tonight and from now on," Taehyung affirmed, pointing a fingers down to the ground as he gave everyone a sharp look, receiving nods from everyone in response, "This is serious and I don't want any goofing off."

More nods flooded the room before they were dismissed and were off to whatever their hearts desired, leaving behind Jungkook and Taehyung, who had stood still in the meeting hall of the pack house and watched as everyone exited the room.

The ravenette had turned his head and gazed at Taehyung, who kept his head facing forward and eyes ahead, not daring to look away. The youngest could tell this was bothering him more than he was showing to the rest of the pack, and it made his heart crack at this.

"We'll figure out who's doing this," Jungkook whispered to the oldest, which had him turning his head finally and looking at Jungkook with a solemn expression as he barely nodded.

It didn't seem like Taehyung was at all convinced, and it only made Jungkook feel a little worse about what was going on. He frowned at the blond-haired alpha as he slowly looked away, unsure of what to say that would make Taehyung feel better.

When he felt arms wrap around his waist and a chin rest on his shoulder, his body stiffening from the sudden contact before he realized it was only Taehyung seeking some kind of warm comfort. His arms wrapped around his neck as he let Taehyung hold him, anything to make him feel better about what was going on.

"I'm trying to keep a brave face on, but I'm just as scared as they are," Taehyung said, voice just under a breathy whisper as he spoke into Jungkook's ear, "A part of me is scared we'll lost more people and we won't find them, while a bigger part of me is terrified I'll lose the most important people to me."

"I'm sure we'll find them," Jungkook reassured the older, but he knew it was going to take a lot before Taehyung was convinced otherwise. Taehyung seemed to have his mind made up on how things would end, and Jungkook hated that he couldn't comfort him.

The last couple months they have been there, Taehyung and Jungkook have been spending a lot of time together, barely spending time with their friends, and ever since the sudden murder spree that occurred only a month ago, they haven't left each other's sides.

It was weird, really. Jungkook began to realize that Taehyung didn't like it when he was out of his sight. The older always found him and silently made sure he was okay. Jungkook didn't pay much attention to it, thinking it was only because of what's been going on lately and was only making him feel better by making sure he was okay.

He didn't blame him, either, because he was terrified too. It was getting harder and harder to sleep at night without anxiety piling in Jungkook's chest. It stopped him from sleeping, and he didn't know what else to do.

Usually he would go outside and look up at the sky until he felt relaxed and sleepy enough to go back inside and crawl in bed. But now, it scared him to even step foot outside during broad daylight because he was scared he was next.