27. Mama Bear

Naomi

One of the happiest days of my life had become one of the worse. I had been sleeping at the time, but the sound of my babies crying for me awoke me from my slumber. I was tired. I was so tired, but my babies needed me more. So I persevered.

I persevered even when my legs gave out from underneath me. I persevered when they were gone out of my sight. I persevered as all I could do was cry. Cry and mourn the absence of my twin babies. I may not have given birth to them, but it had felt as if someone had forcefully ripped them from my wound.

And all that she did was stand there watching with a smug look upon her ugly face. She stood tall with pride as she ripped my heart from my chest. She stood tall as she tore my family apart. That bitch took them away from us. She stole our babies.

Now I am left to deal with the aftermath. Every time that I look into Anya's face I want to cry. It has been weeks since I have seen their little faces in person or heard their voices. I have called nearly every day trying to get in contact with someone that will bring my babies home to me. No-one will.

'You have to wait until your court date, ma'am.'

Is what they all say. I have to wait. There is nothing that they can do. The only bright side is that she does not have them either. They are being fostered by the state. It makes my stomach queasy.

I do not know if they are safe. I do not know if they are eating regularly. I do not know if their foster parents are being kind to them. I do not know if they are mentally fine wherever they are. I just do not know and that scares me more than anything. I do not want to think the worse, but the worse has already pretty much happened. They were taken from us.

"Baby, you have to stop doing this?"

Letting out a sigh I tossed my phone aside. Yet, again, I was told that I would have to wait for our court date.

"Omi, it's okay", Nathaniel said with a sigh, coming to sit beside me on the couch.

I shook my head in denial, tears blurring my vision. "No, it's not. It won't be until they are home, Neil. They took our babies away from us. Why? It's not fair. It's not right", I said in exasperation, tears of frustration spilling from my eyes.

I was upset. I was angry. I was hurt. Most of all, I was vengeful. Usually, I would stay away from this. I do not allow for my anger to rule me. However, this is an exception.

"We will get them back, Omi. I promise you this", Neil said lowly, pulling me into an embrace.

I embraced him back, burying my face into his clothed chest letting out the on I had fought to keep inside. I was tired of crying. I was tired of stressing because of the situation. I have not been able to enjoy being a mother again due to this. I am just tired.

"Do you think that they are alright? Do you think that they are being cared for?", I murmured after a while when my sobs died down to whimpers.

He cooed placing a kiss to my forehead.

"I don't know, babe. I wish that I could give you the answer that you need to hear, but I can't. I don't know, but I would like to think that for once the system will not fail. That there is still hope for them to actually keep children safe", he paused letting out a sigh. "You know that I love you guys, right?", he asked.