22. Fine

A/N.; This chapter is a bit spontaneous, but it is meaningful. Anyways, I hope that you enjoy this chapter. This is unedited. Deuces!✌🏾Fighting!💜🤟🏾
________

👑Nathaniel👑

My time in the hospital had been short lived. While I got to go home a few days later, Christian was still in the hospital. He would still be for a while longer before he is discharged.

At first I had joked around. I laughed. Then slowly, my laughter died down. My smile started to fade.

It had finally hit me. It hit me full force one day. I found myself crying alone in the shower. I cried.

I cried for the incident. I cried for Markel. I cried for Tristian and Christian. I cried for the injustice of it all.

They had targeted Markel because of the color of his skin. They had targeted Tristian for whom he to love.  Things that are not a choice for us. Fore those very things of which makes us different, they were targeted by bigots hiding behind the guise of protecting us all.

I had been grazed covering Christian and Tristian during the shooting. Christian had taken the bullet meant for his older brother. I remember Tristian asking him why he had taken that bullet with his name on it. Christian's response had both warmed and torn apart my heart.

'It's because you are my brother. Y-you've always lo-looked out for me, al-alwa-always had my back. It's-It's my t-turn now, big bro.'

After talking to the doctor more in depths we found that Christian would need physical therapy. He had indeed suffered minor nerve damage to his spinal cord. The kid had just smiled happy to still be alive.

I know that Naomi worries for me. I can see it in her eyes. I can feel it in the way that she touches me now. I can hear it every time she utters a word to me.

I do not want for her to worry for me. She does not need to worry about me at all. I am fine. I am fine.

'If you are so fine than why are you crying in a shower when no-one is around?', my subconscious questioned.

I'm fine. That has been my mantra for a few weeks now. I laugh more now. I smile more. I do more.

I make life as easy as possible for my family now. I spend more time with the twins. I cater to Omi even more than ever. She barely even had to lift a finger for anything now. I have declined a few DJ-ing gigs just to stay close to my family as much as possible. Usually I would go with a little push from Omi, but all I want is to be around my family now. I need to be around them.

"Baby?"

I raised my head. The fogged glass of the shower and my own tears obscuring my vision.

"Omi?", I whispered.

The shower door opened revealing my Omi with a worried look upon her beautiful face. I watched wordlessly as she stepped inside of the shower fully clothed closing the door behind herself. Slightly waddling, she came to my side cautiously lowering herself until she sat beside me.