7. Nothing for Something

Naomi

My nails look so bomb. Oh, I can't wait until Neil sees them. I know that he is going to love them just as much as I do. My mama is the plug, I promise.

"Okay, baby

"Okay, baby. That will be $35", my mama said bringing me out of reverie as I observed my nails in adoration. I raised my head looking at her dumbfounded. "What?", she asked while gathering up her supplies. "You charging me now, ma?", I asked pouting at her. She rolled her eyes that were the exact replica, more like the original, of my own. "I got bills to pay too", she told me, her Spanish accent seeping into her voice.

"But I love you, Mami. You never make me pay", I whined. "Love don't pay the bills, bambina", she retorted holding her hand out towards me waiting for her pay. I feigned ignorance, "What, you want a five? There you go", I said slapping her hand. "Slap my hand again and I will slap your ass across the globe", she threatened making me sigh. "Fine, Mami", I grumbled reaching into my purse taking out my wallet. I took out two $20 bills handing them to her.

I was expecting my change, but to my surprise my mama put all of it in her bra. I cleared my throat holding my hand out for my change. "What?", she asked feigning ignorance. "My change", I stated. "Nah, that was a tip. See ya later, bambina. Get out my house", she said dismissively while waving me off. I gapped at her. "Close your mouth before fly go in an' you choke", she said rising to her feet.

I huffed grabbing my phone off of the table along with my purse before making my way towards the front door to leave. "Sweetheart, wait!", mama called making me smile to myself. However, my smile faltered into a frown at her next words. "Tell Nathaniel I said 'hi' and to stop by for dinner some time this week", she said before walking away. I sighed, "Love you too, Mami", I mumbled walking out of the door to my car.

▪•▪

"Baby!? I'm back!", I called walking through the door closing and locking it behind myself. "In the living room", he called back. I walked into the living room while scrolling through my Instagram stopping behind where he sat on the couch with a controller in his hands. He had company that was far from company if you asked me. He is more like family and is my baby's other best friend, Lucky.