21: The Sound of You

(1.5 months later. Kelly P.O.V)

It was still early morning, but by now I had been awake for hours. I threw the last of the laundry into the machine and closed the door, before taking the basket and leaving it at the entrance of the laundry room. I exited just after I set it down.

"Done! Now it's just prepping breakfast, then I can go water the flowers and feed Chutney." I clapped my hands together, ready to take on even more duties, then checked the clock on the wall as I sauntered down the hallway.

8:30am.

I was actually ahead of schedule. By 30 minutes.

I smiled brightly. That meant only one thing, and I instantly became excited when I realised.

Any free time I could muster, I spent with Luka. Even if he was still unconscious, seeing him every day kept me relaxed and hopeful. One day when he woke, he'd respond to everything I'd told him while he was asleep, I was sure of it.

Besides, if I was done early, I could spend more time than usual with him. Maybe we'd get through the Cradle Saga sequel today; a set of 5 novels I'd been reading to him over the course of a few weeks.

We were on the 4th book already.

Stopping past my room to grab the novel, I made my way towards the infirmary, heading into Luka's private room. When I opened the door, I could see Kyle Ash was here once again, doing his daily inspection on his patient.

"Oh, you're here!" I smiled brightly at the doctor, who seemed to sigh in frustration as I entered.

"Be warned. A stray dog followed me here today.." As if Kyle wasn't already angry enough, he paused his checkup on Luka and placed a hand over his face in utter annoyance.

I blinked in confusion. The Red Army medic was never this upset.

But then, I heard it.

"A dog!? The nerve!"

A prim and proper voice suddenly rang out down the hallway behind me. In moments, the dazzling and ever so perfect Queen of Hearts appeared in the doorway.

"Take that back, Kyle. How dare you describe your beautiful Queen as a mere dog!"

Kyle bluntly rolled his eyes as he put his stethoscope ends on his ears so he could listen to Luka's heartbeat.

"Don't give me that. You're supposed to be working, not goofing off in the Black Kingdom." The medic listened for a few moments, placing the end of the scope in various places on Luka's chest, then pulled the ends out of his ears. He looked to me with a nod.

"He's doing well."

"Oh thank goodness.."

"Well excuse me for wanting to visit my poor sick brother!" Jonah placed a hand on his hip, clearly becoming more offended by the moment.

"Would you stop? You're going to open your chest wound again.. "

Jonah was by far the luckier of the Clemence brothers. Despite his grave injuries when he was stabbed by Amon, the attack had managed to pass by his vital organs. He did have to have some surgery to repair the damage, but overall, compared to Luka, his health over this past month and a half was manageable.

I turned around to face Jonah, surprise clear on my face.

"Jonah, you still haven't fully healed? You should be taking it easy and working from your office." I put my hand on my hip, unconsciously copying his gesture. I ended with:
"You shouldn't be travelling while you're still healing." My voice was firm.