10: Ravage

(Luka P.O.V)

Pale pink light lit up the sky as sunrise descended on Cradle. The pastel oranges and yellows that danced around the clouds reflected off the bright snow on the ground and made it seem even brighter then it was. I knew the sun wouldn't be up for another 45 minutes, but it looked like it would dawn any second.

I sighed softly and turned my focus back to my galloping horse that guided my fleet through the forest. As my thoughts of the beauty of the sunrise faded, I secretly wished Kelly was here to see it too.

Maybe next time..

"It's a beautiful sunrise, isn't it?" Clearly my partner had noticed my fixation. I looked over my right shoulder and nodded curtly at Seth. He was leading his fleet behind him as well.

He gently bucked his horse and it ran faster, catching up to me. We rode beside eachother as he smiled knowingly at me; a sly grin on his face.

"You know...Kelly would love seeing such a pretty sight..." His tone was urging me to take the hint. All of a sudden, memories of our intimate (and secret) night filled my head and I turned away from Seth before he could see me blushing. I swallowed.

"Y-yeah.."

"You better get a move on Luka! If you don't start woo-ing her...then I will!"
He laughed haughtily. My head snapped back to face him. I blinked.

"Hey...that's no fair..."

-------------------

Over an hour later, we trotted through the clearing of trees to see the gates of Central up ahead. Immediately I drew my scarf over my nose and mouth, just incase any lingering effects of the Magic Gas were still around. Seth had also brought a scarf, and fastened it around his face as well, just as precaution.

We had eventually been filled in on the details of that attack from a few days ago. The gas was made by mixing chemicals with Magic Crystal dust. It ensured that if it mixed with oxygen in the air, it would ensure whomever breathed it in would fall asleep for a maximum of 3 to 4 days at a time. Many of the townsfolk had suffered with this attack; we learned later that Central was almost 90% asleep by the time the first wave finished.

Seth and I slowed our horses to a slow walk, and quietly passed through the gates. Up ahead we could hear yells and screams, as well as the clanging of weapons and various bombs being thrown. No matter how many times I participated in war, the haunting sounds were always so cruel...

Finally we descended upon the civic center.

I audibly gasped at the sight. We were extremely outnumbered. There were hundreds of Reds compared to us. Our numbers had clearly dwindled heavily since the fight began.
Swallowing hard, I turned back to glance at Seth, who's face was turning pale with surprise. Our eyes met, and his expression changed. We knew what we had to do.

Nodding to eachother in silent agreeance, we both unsheathed our weapons and took off into the fray. Our fleets behind us all followed suit, running into the battle and beginning the long fight.

As I galloped through the crowds on horseback, seeing the huge numbers of wounded on the ground, a nervous feeling grew in my stomach. I took a deep breath. We could do this...couldn't we? Even with the low numbers we had?

Automatically I began swinging at enemies, knocking them from wounded or tired comrades, and seperating those that seemed too tired to go on. I managed to cut a path between atleast 50 soldiers, but it was all for naught as suddenly a sharp pain pierced my back through my right shoulder.

An arrow.

I was knocked forward and quickly switched my sword grip to my left hand, before the shock of the pain left me powerless to keep my seat on my horse. I fell to the ground and the stallion sauntered away in a panic.