7: An Innocent Envy

(Luka P.O.V)

I never went back on my word. Even as a child, watching my older brother Jonah grow up with the fame and fortune of being the oldest son; no matter how much I was ignored, I would never make a promise if I couldn't keep it. I could remember all the times my parents shunned me while they fawned over my brother; having put him on a pedestal since he was the first born. He grew into the Queen of Hearts; his ultimate destiny in life, and my parent's loved him for it. But since I was second born, I didn't have that luxury. I was free to do what I wanted, and not a single family member cared. I spent more time alone in my childhood then with people. 

It didn't matter. I was angry, but I still loved my family. I even made Jonah his stupid strawberry mille-fueille one day, 50 servings of it in fact. After we finished every single one, I swore I would never eat sweets again. The only memory I ever enjoyed of that day was Jonah's smile. He had always been so good at wearing his heart on his sleeve.

"Yah!!" My memories began to fade as I pulled my horses reigns, galloping as fast as a bullet through the white-out snow. I didn't care that I only had a flannel Army coat with a thin hood to keep me warm. I didn't care that I was recklessly charging into possible Red Army territory with no backup.
A promise was a promise, and I intended to keep it.

In moments, I reached Central Quarter. I paraded through the gates and slowed my horse down, but it was to no avail. The place was a ghost town. Not a single human walked the streets, and a large ringing bell was the only sound being carried by the dangerous winds. The townsfolk were calling for a just-starting snowstorm. One of the most extreme we would see this time of year.

I grit my teeth, squinting through the white snow to try and make out the streets. It was no use, I couldn't possibly search for her through this storm.

Without another thought, I turned my horse around and exited Central, dashing through the snowy night and into the forest.

----------------------

It had been hours by now since I left. The storm was getting worse by the minute; sheets of snow and hail hitting me from every angle.

But I vowed to press on. I'd checked every hidden place I could think of in the Forbidden Forest. The Abandoned Castle, The Lake of Tears (that was now just a sheet of ice...)

The only two options I had left were Harr and Loki's place, and the Emerald cave that sat on the outskirts of Cradle, near the mountains. Taking a deep breath to calm my mind and will myself to forget the intense frost my body was suffering from, I knocked my horses sides lightly and dashed through the hail. I could barely see two feet infront of me, but it didn't matter.

I had to find her.

I rode for what seemed like forever, but surely it was only about a half an hour. I was starting to shiver; I knew I'd probably suffer from pneumonia if I stayed out much longer. Either way, I could rest in the cave and warm up before heading back out. I just needed to know Kelly was safe.

That's when I spotted it. A small orange flame was sparkling in the distance. If my directions were correct, it was in the exact spot where the cave would be. I ignored my heart as it began beating faster. Please...please be there...

I willed my horse to gallop even faster. It winnied and complied, not even phased by the heavy whiteout snow that stood in my path. I bit my lip. If she wasn't there...where would I look next?

In moments I saw the cave inch closer and closer. It was covered in snow and looked more like  large igloo with a dark and mysterious entrance. As soon as I was within a foot from it, I practically jumped from my horse. It neighed and slowed to a stop just inside the cave.