5: Stubborn

(Kelly P.O.V)

You know, I had never been much of a hard headed person in my life. I tended to be pretty easy going, and stayed that way as I grew up. I had met others that were gravely stubborn, but managed to keep a level head with them, and normally let whatever hard headed decision they made just roll off of me. Life was too short to be upset, right?

But following after Luka that afternoon, while he barely spoke to me for the rest of our hike back to the house,  annoyed me to no end. I couldn't pinpoint what it was about him, but it irked me more than any normal stubborn headed guy would. I had a sneaking suspicion it was that look he gave me before he turned away.

That look that said he was hiding things. Things that he wanted to open up about, but wouldn't.

Either way, I couldn't stand being in another minute of this awkward silent treatment between us. I watched his back as he walked ahead of me quietly and grit my teeth. I was determined to settle things between us, now.

I stomped quickly up to him.

"Luka, I don't know why you're mad, but I swear I didn't leave alone on purpose!" I guess I had stewed so long on this topic that my voice squeaked more than usual. I tried to keep my angered facade to show him I was serious, but I started to blush at hearing my awkward tone.

I set eyes on his face, and surprisingly he was frowning. He looked deep in thought, and his graceful features just seemed... A little down.

He looked to me as I yelped and blinked in obvious surprise. A moment of hesitation passed, too long for my liking. Then his eyebrows shifted to show his confusion. He stopped walking.

"I know. This isn't about you."

Luka was so matter of fact, I felt another weight of confusion sit on my shoulders. I frowned and gave him the most sincere gaze I could. I stepped closer, clutching my groceries in my arms a little tighter.

"It bothers me to see you troubled. I don't know if you want to talk about it, but.." I swallowed, my words escaping me for a minute. What was I actually trying to say? The Jack of Spades was so bottled up inside; I didn't even know if whatever was bothering him was something he would be willing to talk about. What if it was too difficult? Was this really a path worth chasing?

He seemed to notice my hesitation as I averted his eyes.

"Things didn't go perfectly today. I don't like that."

Oh. Well..that wasn't what I expected. Now I was even more confused.

I decided to take the compassionate route.

"Perfection can be hard to achieve. Not everything will go the way you want." I stared at him inquisitively. To my surprise, he frowned again.

"I'm not sure you understand. Being the Jack of Spades...everything has to go perfectly. There is no room for error."

These few words gave me a true glimpse into Luka's insecurities. I could tell because his shoulders had stiffened, and he looked very uncomfortable. His innocent, angelic features were so downtrodden, I felt now that it was almost my duty to make him smile. I stepped closer again, with even more determination.

"Luka everyone makes mistakes. It's a part of---"

thump.

A soft sound of something falling into the snow interrupted me. I looked down, and a bright red apple had fallen from my grocery bag. Luka looked down and noticed, before bending to pick it up quickly.

...hey, apples weren't on our grocery list.

"You bought apples?" I questioned curiously. I hadn't even seen him grab them at the store.