14: Losing Grip

(Kelly's P.O.V)

The days following Luka's capture and subsequent arrest were utter turmoil for all of us. Lancelot was still hidden in Blanc and Oliver's cottage while Harr worked each day to slowly extract the poison from his sickly body. The Red King had hardly been awake more than minutes over the course of five days. The good news was, despite his pain, slowly Lancelot was getting better.

But the bad news was, his dissapearance within the Red Kingdom had caused an outrage.

Thanks to Seth and some of his informants, the Black Army was well aware that the Red Kingdom had been ransacked and taken over by Amon of the Magic Tower. Without the Red King to run the castle, he was now running the war, which was getting more and more violent by the day.

The Central Quarter had been taken over by Amon as well, and slowly his army were descending east, towards the Black Castle. Their weapons and tactics of invasion were also escalating each day. Towns of people were silenced in minutes by the homemade sleeping gas the disciples unleashed, and since the gas was effective for days at a time, the Magic Tower would pillage and ransack everything, house by house. When met with resistance by an innocent bystander who somehow escaped the gas, they took no prisoners.

Amongst the chaos, Ray and the Black Army were at an extreme disadvantage. We'd lost countless battles thanks to their guerrilla warfare tactics, and their infinite stores of Magic Crystals obliterated our armies. Amon now ruled the entirety of the Red Army through fear alone, and it became so dire that the Black Army couldn't even make it to the town's prior to them being sacked and burned to the ground. Our recovery teams sometimes took days to appear, as Amon's Army had become so vast and powerful.

As for Luka, Ray and Sirius were pulling all nighters every single evening, working on a case to free the Jack of Spades prior to his trial date. The stakes were high, since if given a guilty sentence, he'd be in jail for life. But it didn't stop there. Now that Lancelot was missing, the Red Army townsfolk had taken to the streets in protest. Violence, fires, and brawls broke out in the streets as the common people demanded Luka's head, presuming that Lancelot was missing by his hand. All of Cradle had never been more divided.

The best I could do was sit quietly with Fenrir and Seth, whom were doing their best to manage the war on their own, while keeping me protected inside the Black Castle. Every other day I visited Harr, Loki, Oliver and Blanc, but I was pretty much cordoned off inside the Castle walls. Each day I wracked my brain for ways to free Luka, but without Lancelot's authority, there was no way we'd win. And as the trial edged ever closer, even as calm as I tried to force myself to be, I was starting to lose it too...

"Do you think...Lancelot will wake up today?"

My voice was quiet and distant. Seth had made some fresh tomato soup from some of our leftover rations that hadn't been sent to the frontlines yet. Despite how good it smelled, I wasn't interested in eating lunch. Even breakfast wasn't something I acknowledged nowadays.

Seth ruffled the paper he was reading softly, then looked over it towards me from across the table. He frowned, his expression concerned for me.

"Let's not think about that now, Alice. You've hardly eaten in days."

I twirled the spoon in my bowl once again, the soup completely untouched, then let go and placed both my hands in my lap. I shuffled and pushed my seat out behind me, standing.

"I'm sorry, Seth. I'm just not hungry.."

I knew he and I would get into another argument if I stayed. I wasn't trying to be a nuisance, I just knew there was nothing I could assist with at this point. I felt useless to help stop the landslide that was befalling Luka, and it hurt me to know that all I could do was sit and watch him burn.