~ Chapter 25: God of Nightmares ~

Your vision and freedom came back not soon after you let out your loud cry along with you feeling extremely different. The whispering never left your head and if you focused hard enough you could hear words of hopes and desires. Dreams. Though with just as much ease you could tune it out as easily as you could listen in. That wasn't the only difference you felt instantly but as your eyes landed back to the council room you had left, you had no time to examine yourself in any way. You had left Grimm to fight all alone while you went to speak to Radiance and you saw how it affected him now.

Burn marks scorched the floor as soldiers' burned bodies laid not too far away, but Grimm was kneeling on the floor in agony as he had been overpowered despite his best efforts. An angered soldier had him beat with a nail pressed to his neck, as Grimm's once bright glowing eyes looked paler and weaker. His cloak and the floor beneath him was stained with his dark blood. As the soldier mumbled something, he raised his nail to strike down Grimm who was too weak to move and save himself. He accepted his fate with a lowered head, but you let out a shrill scream as you shot your arm out as if that would help.

"NO! Stop!" You cried though you didn't expect something to materialize from thin air and head towards the direction your arm pointed. A pearly-white nail struck the soldier and impaled him causing him to let out a dying cry as his nail clattered to the floor, and Grimm looked at you with surprise and then pure shock. The remaining soldiers looked to you briefly before they leaped back into action to end you both. You jumped from the top of the pedestal to the ground below and rushed to Grimm before the others could attack. Your arms wrapped around him as his arms weakly did the same to you.

When another soldier tried to get closer with their nail readied to attack you, you screamed at him in a threatening tone,

"Don't get any closer! Stop!" As you said 'stop', pearly-white nails like the one you shot at the dead soldier rose from the ground and shielded you and Grimm away from the others. This gave you time to calm your breathing the best you could as the soldiers shouted and commanded for you and Grimm to accept your fate, but you weren't scared of them. You knew they couldn't get past the defenses you put up, and if they did they would still need to meet your wrath that burned stronger than any fire you knew of. You were instead scared for Grimm, whose arms didn't hold onto you as tightly.

When you looked down at him, his breathing was staggered and his eyes looked dull and weak instead of their usual bright glow. He wrapped his cloak tighter around his form to try and compress his wounds, but you began to notice how his dark blood seeped through his cloak and stained your shaking hands.

"Grimm..." You whimpered, which caused your dying lover to look up at you. He forced a smile the best he could, but it seemed like that even hurt him.

"Y/n... I-... I'm sorry. One... One of them got past me a-and-..."

"Shh. You'll be okay. Save your strength dear. Please." you begged, tears starting to cloud your vision as he did his best to shake his head.

"I don't... I don't think I will..." he coughed and you held him closer to you, realizing how cold he felt than usual. You couldn't help as tears began to spill over, you didn't want to lose Grimm. Not while you both got so far, not when he saved your life and you had yet to repay him. He was your everything, and you didn't want to lose your everything.