~ Chapter 22: Not Alone ~

You came to Grimm’s office and entered without knocking as you saw the door to the room you shared was open a decent bit, Grimm inside pacing in a highly stressed manner that he never noticed your slow approach. When you got to the doorway and used it to lean on a bit, you cleared your throat enough for his attention to land on you. His eyes focused on you full of misery and possibly even regret despite never being able to change the fate he would inevitably bring. You then entered and said with a gentle voice,

          “Grimm. It will all be okay, I promise…” You stepped in and he took a step back as he brought a hand to his forehead as he did his best to keep his composure.

          “No. It isn’t. Hallownest is doomed, and I am such a fool for not seeing that I was the jester to bring its demise on a silver platter.” He spat insults at himself with no holding back and it surprised you how he easily turned on himself.

          “You are not responsible for any of this!” You corrected him. “It all is a bad case of wrong time and place, but you are not the one to ruin it.”

          “But I should have known like my father and all before him, when we enter a kingdom we should know it will never last.” Grimm turned and walked to the other side of the room, allowing you to enter more and try to reason with him still.

          “Your father came to Hallownest almost a century ago, and it didn’t fall when he left, did it?”

          “I know, but maybe that is why I am here. To bring the bad news that my father came to tell first…” He sat down on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands and you finally began to see him crumble. “This kingdom is my home, even when I left to be apart of the troupe and take his place, It was still my home.” He started and you heard his voice tremble. You closed the door to the bedroom respectively and then took a seat next to him. “My mother was born and raised in Dirtmouth and raised me to care for our home. Despite raising me alone, her immense strength and will are what taught me to be who I am today. My mother is buried here still, and to know it may all get destroyed…”

           “I know this place was where you were raised, and I’m sure something can be done to fix whatever chaos attempts to ruin it.”

          “How will they get out of this mess? There is no Knight, no Ghost or even the Hollow one. The people could never fight against their rulers, only move with them. That was what they always did and will do until the end of their time.” He said with a heavy sigh. You could hear how his tone became more and more broken as he spoke and you couldn’t seem to change his mind over his part in this horrible fate for a kingdom you had even grown to love. Something did come to your mind, but you still weren’t sure to trust your gut or the words given to you. Maybe if you told him about the dreams you had been having, he would understand and gain some faith. It was the only option you had, and it seemed that you were running out of options.

          “Grimm, lately the dreams I have been having have pointed this out.” You admitted and Grim looked up swiftly.

          “Wait… What?” He mumbled, and you were afraid of him now doubting you, though you continued.

          “This is horribly strange and almost insane sounding but I am certain your mother has been coming to me to warn me of these events! I didn’t know who she was at first, just some woman with a violin that looked exactly like the one you played, but after we went to Dirtmouth I saw her figure by her grave. She matched with the woman in my dreams.” You were now standing and pacing yourself. Grimm remained silent as you spoke, and you weren’t sure if that was a good or bad thing. Nonetheless, you continued. “She kept speaking about balance and restoring balance to what once was here. She also said that the moment she met me in Dirtmouth when I arrived here that I would be important-”

          “You met my mother?” He asked suddenly but you kept rambling.

          “Anyway! Overall, she says I’m here for a reason to fix Hallownest. I don’t know how since she never told me because she said that I had to see how it impacted people. I guess that was coming to the village and noticing how they and many others are going to be affected...” You trailed off as you met Grimm’s gaze and felt your cheeks heat up with embarrassment. You had just spit out so much information that when looked at from the naked eye, it sounded absolutely insane. Maybe you were, but you knew for a fact that it all couldn’t be your mind making up things. It all didn’t make sense, but it must have had a purpose. You rubbed your arm and averted your gaze as the silence between you both held heavy for a while before Grimm spoke up.

          “I believe you.”

          “You do?” You looked at him with wide eyes and awe in your tone, Grimm gave a gentle nod as he stood up and walked up to you.

          “I know my own mother… She spoke of my fate as different than those before me, and she said that even when she would be gone her heart would help guide me to safety. I know meeting you in the City of Tears was not luck, it had to be her doing.” He explained and when he looked down at you a smile graced him finally. “Whatever she claims of you, I know she means it.” He added as he brought his hand up to your face and gently caressed it. Your heart began to soar as you smiled widely.

          “I don’t want to let anyone down.” You then admitted and Grimm gave you a deep kiss. Closing your eyes and leaning into it, you knew how both of you had heavy nerves. Though you would be there for one another no matter what fate would bring. When he pulled away and stood back up he finally answered you,

          "You're not going too… You're incredible." He encouraged you. The two of you then shared a tight embrace as he whispered, "Thank you, my dear, for coming to help get me out of my negative state of mind. I have no idea what I could do without you."

          "I don't know what I would have done without you, Grimm." You replied as you enjoyed his warm embrace. His comforting and gentle presence helped you start to relax more and more. You weren't sure what would happen as time went on, but you knew as long as you and Grimm had each other you would make it through alright.

          After a bit of time, you and Grimm sat and talked calmly on the edge of the bed. Your head resting on his shoulder as you felt completely at peace. Grimm's soft and warm voice filled your heart with so much love as he told stories of his childhood of kids he met and knew, or trouble he would get into from time to time. You held one of his hands in your own and began to feel your eyelids drop. A small nap wouldn't hurt and you knew Grimm would understand how today was already exhausting.

          As you drifted off, Grimm's voice began to fade away. Everything was quiet for a bit of time… Before you heard the voices of two women bickering, and you knew exactly who was waiting for you.