6. Beginning

THUD!!

The loud voice of a door has woken Bethany up. Because of the hole on the wall of between their room she can hear everything from there.

'Wait...that was a door!'

In prison, especially in ED quarter, opening prisoners room expect from the day of going outdoors is forbidden. In her quarter they don't have to participate in church activities or something like that so there's no need to open their door.

However Stephen's heavy iron door just opened few minutes ago and closed afterwards which means..

'He's gone..'

His execution day hasn't come yet. Why is he out? Is it even possible for a prisoner to go outside? Is he escaping or the schedule on his death day changed and he's going to be killed?

So many things ran through her head but her mind automatically found solution. He's outside because of his own will.

He's capable of giving her a strange gifts everyday. Bringing a single metal in this place is impossible but he even gave her MP3, headphones, sweets, earrings and hair clip. Plus he's former mafia leader and unpredictable guy.

That's why Bethany found herself talking to himself so joyfully. He's interesting because he's not easy to predict just like Mr. Jackson.

Actually she will be glad if he manages to escape from this hell hole. Or else he will die in month. That's why as his friend she decided to shut her mouth from asking about him and continue her sleep. Whether he escapes or not is none of her business.

She will spend her twenty years of her life here. No killing, fighting and causing trouble. To lessen her sins even for a bit it's important. Of course she must protect herself here so expect from 'fighting' she'll be as obedient as she can

"Good luck, Stephen.." she muttered softly and allowed her heavy eyelids to close on their own.

***
The days passed by quickly. And sadly today's there's only two days before his execution.

He goes outside every night but no one knows what he does and she doesn't ask him about that. She thought he's going to escape but he's still here which means he'll die. And the war between government and mafia will be over.

"Hey, Beth. Will you miss me if I go somewhere?" Stephen asked, breaking the silence.

"No. I'll be glad if you go somewhere. You'll die if you stay here" she answered as she sat straight on her mattress, turning her back on the wall.

They don't know it but they are sitting back to back. Only thing separating them is thick wall of their room. The atmosphere was quite and peaceful.

Her answer was a bit disappointing but the relationship between them still improved a lot. And more importantly she's caring about his life now.

Even though they usually don't see each other's face and only thing connecting them is that tiny hole on the wall, he likes her so much. He can still imagine her reaction when she ate that candy he gave her last Wednesday. Just like a children they exchange candies as a gift. But as long as he can see her cute expression he'll find everything to please her.

"Are you planning to escape?" Bethany asked.

"Mhm"

"When?"

"Tomorrow evening"

"I see"

Their conversation ended awkwardly as Stephen hoped for her to ask him to bring her along but she didn't. Instead the heavy silence from earlier came once again which caused a heavy feeling in Bethany's chest. She doesn't understand why but she was feeling sad.

"Don't you wanna go with me? Bringing one person along isn't that troublesome" Stephen decided to invite her first.

"I refuse. I'll stay here" her immediate answer came.

"Why? We can live together happily and I can give you everything you want. You can forget your old life and..."

"One hundred seventeen people.." Bethany interrupted him with that unknown number and continued after a little pause. "The exact number of people I killed. I tortured some of them, shooted, sliced their necks, placed bomb in their apartments, believing what I did was right thing to do. And you're the person who helped me to realize my sins. If you didn't kill Mr. Silvain I would've killed more and more"

Her words left him speechless. The chance of bringing her along with him become zero percent after that. She has no intention of going outside or enjoy her life. She's willing to stay here without him.

"So you don't wanna go with me?" He asked in a pitiful tone one last time.

"I'm sorry" said Bethany as guilty feeling covered her chest. She'll miss his surprising gifts and his comfortable voice. But still he must live on his own lifestyle. She's just a burden that'll hold him back.

Stephen didn't say anything later that. Because of the cold uncomfortable feeling Bethany fell sleep. She slept so long and had a nightmare until the noisy tocsin woke her up.

That's when everything began.