Lilly Woods

Life in Phandalin was harmoniously pleasant for young Lilly Woods. She came into the world just over eighteen years ago, and her mother and father were completely delighted and loved her dearly from the first moment they were captivated by her charismatic eyes and petite figure, even as a baby. She was born, raised and lived in the same house for her whole life, situated in the south of the town next to the mining exchange building and not too far from the town hall. It was perfect; she had plenty of wide green space to explore. Lilly was popular, with many friends whom she attended school with and met up with daily. But, her favourite place in all the town was in her father's workshop watching his craftmanship.  

Mr Woods was an established member of the community, a very friendly man who had acquaintance with just about everybody. Every cut, carve and groove of his works displayed the pure passion that he had for his trade.  His skills were passed down, being taught from his father and his father before. Carpentry was long in the Wood family ancestry and Lilly felt content knowing one day she could be a greater part of it. Lilly learnt many skills through her parents' patient teaching. Her mother never got upset when she burnt the bread or the cakes when learning how to bake. Her father never got upset when she broke a tool in the workshop when learning how to carve designs into the backs of chairs or table tops. 

Volunteering in the town fulfilled Lilly's good-natured heart, collecting goods from the shop and delivering to the elderly members of the community, or playing with the younger members in the town square while their mothers were busy and occupied with housework. The room would always brighten with cheerfulness when Lilly stepped through the door and somehow her words and affection would be enough to dry any tears, especially those of her younger brother. 

Charlie was an unplanned birth, eight years after Lilly. He came about around a time of great sadness for the family, when Lilly's Grandpa passed away. Mr Woods struggled to keep up the workshop for a while and there were sometimes conflicts between Lilly's parents, although they were only worried for the safekeep of their family and keeping food coming to the table. Naturally, Lilly gladly took over with motherly duties and cared dearly for her brother while her mother attended to laundry and cooking and cleaning and upkeep of their modest little home.  

Charlie adored his big sister and her name was his first word. Growing up he proved to be highly mischievous. His smile was one that had wickedness written all over it, but his eyes were ones that showed only youthful innocence and joy all around. Lilly often had a hard time keeping him out of trouble. For example, there was a period where little Charlie was obsessed with frogs or anything amphibian. He brought one into the classroom, clasped in between his palms, wriggling around. Charlie thought it hilarious when the creature leapt free and landed directly down the centre of the teacher's top. Mrs Applebee, however, was not near as amused, in fact she was quite filled with shock. His punishment embarrassed him and he cried to Lilly about it later that day after school. Lilly would always tell him, " imagination and mischievousness is a gift and laughter and constant seeking for fun is contagious in the best of ways but there is a time and a place and you must learn when you can let your true personality shine."

The siblings both knew that they were safe to be themselves around the other and Charlie felt he could always rely on his big sister. Lilly knew the same, even though she did get frustrated and tired of constantly apologising and making up for things on his behalf. Charlie had little interest in woodwork, or cooking, or just about anything except exploring, which drove not only his teacher but his parents mad, too. 

Despite family quarrels or hardships, every evening the Woods family would collect together around their wooden kitchen table and feast together. Meal times were a precious time.

"Charlie, sit up straight and eat with your mouth closed, you are getting more of your food on my kitchen floor than in your mouth!" Charlie grinned, showing his dinner squidge through his teeth, as he sheepishly then obeyed his mothers request. Looking at the crumbs on the floor around him and down his grubby clothing from playing outside, he realised he was indeed a messy eater. I suppose Mrs Woods would force him to bathe later that evening - bath time was boring. "Now, how was your day at school? I hear you got sent out of the classroom again, young man." Finished his mother.