S2 E5 - Dig Dug

Later on when Will had finished drawing and Mike and I had finished giving the paintings to my mom. Now, we were sitting in Will's room with him. "It's like, it's like I feel what the shadow monsters feeling." Will told Mike and I. I was sitting a little away from Will on his bed, Mike was following the trail the drawings were in, in Will's room. "See what he's seeing."

"Like in the Upside Down?" Mike asked him.

"Some of him is there, but some of him is here too." Will told us.

"Here like...in this house?" Mike asked.

"In this house and, in me." Will said. I scooted closer to him as Mike sat next to him. "It's like he's reaching into Hawkins, more and more. And the more he spreads, the more connected to him I feel."

"And the more you see these now memories." I finished.

"At first I just felt it, in the back of my head." Will said, putting his hand up to the back of his neck, "I didn't even really know it was there. It's like when you have a dream, when you can't remember it unless you think really hard. It was like that. But now it's like, now I remember. I remember all the time." Will told us. I grabbed one of his hands, not even really realizing I was doing it.

"Maybe...maybe that's good." Mike said. I just looked at him like he was crazy.

"Good?" Will asked him.

"Just think about it Will, your like a spy now. A super spy. Spying on the shadow monster. If you know what he's seeing and feeling, maybe that's how we can stop him. Maybe all this is happening for a reason." Mike told him.

"You really think so?" Will asked him.

"Yeah, yeah I really do." Mike said, giving him a reassuring smile. Will then looked over to his drawing of the shadow monster. Mike and I looked over there too.

"But, what if he figures out we're spying on him?" I asked. "What if he spys back?"

"He won't." Mike told me.

"How do you know?" Will asked. Mike then reached out and out his hand over Will's shaking one.

"We won't let him." Mike told him.

I don't remember when but, at some point we all fell asleep. Mike was on the floor and Will and I were sharing his bed. I shot up awake in the middle of the night, the shadow monster haunting my dreams. I had tears running down my face, but I didn't want to wake the other two. I got up and quietly exited the room. I quickly walked into my room and shut the door. As soon as I did, I broke down. It was like I had a damn built up inside that finally broke. I guess after all of this happened, I never really analyzed how I was doing. Will went missing, El went missing, El's still gone, Will's suffering, and Mike said what he said. I always just, got to the other side. I never really thought about anything or truly processed it and, my mind was ready to get it all out. Through my crying I didn't even notice that someone else had entered my room until they came by my side and hugged me. "Hey shh, Summer it's okay." Mike told me.

"Mike?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's me." He told me. I allowed my self to fall into his grasp. After only a few minutes, I pulled away from Mike. "Summer what's up?" He asked me.

"It's just, it's Will. He's, he's suffering and I can't do anything, I can't help him. It's like him going missing all over again. He's not doing good but I can't help him. I just feel, I feel helpless." I told him.

"Hey, we will make sure he's better okay? We might not be able to make him all better right now, but I swear we will." He told me.

"Promise?" I asked him.