S1 E5 - The Flea and the Arocobat

"What was Will saying? Like home, like home." Mike said when we had all made it to his house. El and I were both laying down on separate couches. Mike had El's feet laying in his lap of course.

"Like home, but dark and empty." I said weakly.

"Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" Dustin asked us.

"I don't know, the stupid radio kept going in and out." Lucas said. Dustin sighed.

"It's like riddles in the dark." He said.

"Like home. Like his house?" Mike asked.

"Mike you think I didn't check my own damn house?" I asked him. He shrugged.

"What about Hawkins?" Lucas asked.

"Upside Down." El said from the other couch.

"What'd she say?" Lucas asked.

"Upside Down." I said, trying to sit up.

"Upside Down. Upside Down!" Mike said, realizing something.

"When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over," Mike said, flipping the board from upside down to right side up, to upside down again. "Remember?" He asked. "Upside Down." Mike said as both Dustin and Lucas sat down at the table with them. 'How many times do you think Mike's going to say "Upside Down" before they figure it out?' I asked El. She looked over at me and shrugged. "Dark, empty." Mike said to Dustin and Lucas.

"Do you understand what he's saying?" Lucas asked Dustin.

"No." Dustin told him.

"Guys, come on just think about it. When El took us to find Will, she took us to Will's and Summer's house right?" Mikes asked them.

"Yeah, and he wasn't there." Lucas said.

"Yeah well what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side? What if," Mike said flipping the board right side up. "And," he said, flipping to board upside down again. "This is where Will is? The Upside Down."

"Like the vale of shadows." Dustin suggested. Mike and Lucas just looked at each other.

"What? Are Dustin and I the only ones who read the books?" I asked. Dustin then continued to grab Mike's book for D&D. He flipped through the pages until he found what he was looking for.

"The Vale of Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world. It is a place of decay and death. A plain not a phase, braced with monsters. It is right next to you and you don't even see it." Dustin finished, looking at me.

"An alternate dimension." Mike said.

"H-how do we get there?" Lucas asked.

"You cast shadow walk." Dustin told him.

"In real life dummy." Lucas told him.

"We can't shadow walk, but maybe, they can." Dustin said, referring to El and I.

"Do either of you know how to get there? To the Upside Down?" Mike asked. I shook my head 'no'. I didn't how to get there, but I know El did. What surprised me was when El also shook her head 'no'. 'You don't know how to get there?' I asked her. 'Too dangerous.' Was all she said back to me. I didn't know what she meant by that. The boys sighed in a frustrated manner.

After about an hour of me laying on the couch, I finally got my strength back. Dustin, Lucas, and I had all decided to go home. I said goodbye to Mike, El, Lucas, and Dustin and made my way home. When I got there, I noticed there was an extra car in the driveway. I quickly parked my bike and ran inside. When I opened the door, I saw my mom and Lonnie? "What the hell is he doing here?" I asked my mom.