S1 E5 - Continued

After the funeral, we all decided to go back to Mike's house. Mike was in the middle of explaining to El how getting to the Upside Down worked. "It would take a lot of energy to build a gate like this but that's got to be what happened, otherwise how'd Will get there right?" He asked El.

"Right." She responded.

"What we want to know is, do you know where the gate is?" Lucas asked her. I then heard a loud noise, I looked over at Dustin who was pacing back and forth. I shook my head and turned back to El. She shook her head to Lucas's question.

"Then how do you know about the Upside Down?" He asked her.

"Dustin what are you doing?" I asked him, trying to change the subject. Dustin ignored me.

"Dustin." Mike said. "Dustin!"

"Dustin!" Lucas yelled. Dustin stopped what he was doing and looked at us.

"I-I need your compasses." Dustin told us.

"What?" Mike asked.

"Your compasses, all of your right now!" Dustin yelled. Mike, Lucas, and I all got up. I went into my pocket and pulled out three. We emptied our compasses on to the table and watched as Dustin looked at all of them.

"What's exciting about this?" Mike asked Dustin.

"Well there all facing north right?" Dustin asked.

"Yeah so?" Lucas asked.

"Dustin what's your point?" I asked him.

"That's not true north." He told me.

"What'da mean?" Mike asked him.

"I mean exactly what I just said, that's not true north. Are the three of you seriously this dence?" Dustin asked us. Lucas shrugged, "The sun rises in the east," Dustin said, pointing to the east. "And it sets in the west." He said, pointing to the west. "Which means, that's true north." Dustin told us, pointing to true north.

"So what your saying is the compasses are broken." Mike said. Dustin sighed.

"Do you even understand how a compasses works? Do you see a battery pack on this thing?" Dustin asked Mike.

"No." Mike told him.

"No you don't because it doesn't need one. The needle is automatically drawn to the Earth's magnetic North Pole." Dustin told us.

"So, what's wrong with them?" Lucas asked.

"Well that's what I couldn't figure out but then I remembered, you can change the direction of a compass with a magnet. If there's a presence of a more magnetic field, the needle deflects to that power. And then I remembered what Mr.Clarke said. The gate would have so much power...."

"That it would disrupt the electromagnetic field." I finished for Dustin.

"Exactly." Dustin said.

"Meaning if we follow the compasses north...?" Lucas questioned.

"It should lead us to the gate." Dustin informed him. We all then agreed to go look for the gate, and got ready to head out. Once everyone was ready, we headed out.

As we were following the compasses, we made it to the old, abandoned train tracks. Dustin and Lucas were in front, Mike and El in the middle, and me bringing up the rear end, which was getting pretty annoying at this point. I could tell though that El was acting different. Like she had done something but didn't want us to know. "How much further?" I heard Lucas asked Dustin.