27: Come To A Close

Sonia

Sonia

"Aw hell!" I exclaim, leaping out of my seat in frustration.

Sebastian looks at me worriedly. "Sonia, what did you find?"

I lift up the newspaper shakily, and point at the words 'Sister cries for serial killer' and then to 'Marianne'. He squints at the writing, then nods enthusiastically.

"Now all we have to do is find out who Marianne is! I don't know a Marianne...does Steph know a Marianne?" He scrunches up his face, contemplating. "Do you know a Marianne?"

I smile sadly. "I only know one Marianne, Joel's mother."

He nods dreamily, then snaps back to reality. "Wait what?!"

"Yeah. Guess Joel isn't as innocent as I thought he was."

He jumps to his feet.

That's when a shot rings out.

We both instinctively throw ourselves to the floor, and scream among many people.

"SONIA! SEBASTIAN!" A familiar voice screams, and my heart lurches, knowing immediately that it is Wilhelmina. Sebastian meets my eyes and signals to a tall book shelf, and we both sprint towards it. We crouch there, our hearts beating rapidly as people keep screaming and fleeing the library.

"SEBASTIAN? COME OUT! YOU WOULDN'T WANT ME TO HURT SONIA, WOULD YOU?" Sebastian stops, looking in the direction of her voice. I realise what he is thinking, and slap his arm.

"No!" I hiss, and he looks pained.

"She won't hurt you, I can't let something happen to you because of me."

"Idiot! She's a freaking serial killer, she's manipulating you Seb!"

He looks uncertain. "What if she hurts you, when I could have stopped it?"

I look him dead in the eye. "Then it will be my own d*mn fault!"

We sit there for a couple minutes; not daring to move, and the library quietens. It's not much better than the noise, an eerie silence looms over and Sebastian and I look around wildly, trying to figure out where she is.

"So..." A voice coos. "And then there were three."

I shut my eyes and Sebastian squeezes my hand. "We're not far from the exit," He whispers slowly.

"It was always going to come to this, Sebastian. You and Stephanie were always going to die. She may be living a little far away now, but that only makes her more vulnerable. Police will be half an hour away, much too slow." She walks over to our table, and my heart skips a beat. Sebastian points to the library entrance, a few shelves away. I crawl all the way to the end, and Sebastian follows.

"Aha! You two are smart, aren't you? Researched me, did you now? I suppose the game's up, I'm working with Joel." A tear slips down my cheek, and Sebastian wipes it away comfortingly. He gestures at the next shelf, but there's a huge gap in between.