15: Accusations

Joel

Joel

It feels like hours pass by as we all wait for Stephanie to emerge. Sonia curls her hair around her finger absentmindedly, a distraught expression on her face. I pat her knee reassuringly and she looks at me and laughs. Hm. I've never realised how her eyes sparkle and come to life when she smiles.

"I'm scared, Joel," she admits to me.

She looks troubled and I put my arm around her, surprising myself. She flinches and peers at me with genuine shock. I give her a tiny smile and she relaxes, melting into my arms. Her head rests lightly on my shoulder and I can smell her shampoo, minty and delicious. I sniff louder then I intend to, and I feel her giggle.

"Are you smelling me?" She asks, grinning.

"Of course not!" I cry out indignantly. "Why would you even think that?"

She doesn't say anything, but lays her head down again. I think of Stephanie, her dazzling eyes and luscious hair - but my dreams don't seem as vivid anymore. I see only ordinary eyes, blue as the ocean, yet without the specialty they once had. I frown. How could this be?

Once when I thought the name Stephanie, my mind would fill with sweet thoughts, I'd feel delighted as I visualised her. Now, nothing of that sort was happening. Stephanie is a name like any other, and I'm surprised.

I'd been certain my feelings for Stephanie had been love - pure, true love. Now I was starting to doubt myself. If it was love, what was happening to me?

Sonia shivers as the cool air conditioner blows violently. I jolt up and she makes a little squealing sound.

"Are you cold?" I find myself asking.

"No..." She lies, but I see her fingers trail up and down her arms.

I take off my jacket and wrap it around her shoulder's. I can tell she's confused, I'd have never noticed such a tiny thing with her before. First I think she's going to stay quiet, but she whispers to me.

"Joel..." She trails off. "What are you doing? You like Stephanie. Don't bother with me."

"Sonia, I'm so confused right now. I think of Stephanie and it's just neutral feelings. I feel the warmth of our friendship, but nothing more. Is there something wrong with me?"

"I don't know Joel," She says. "Maybe, you don't feel the same way about Stephanie anymore?"

"I thought it was love." I bite my lip.

"Oh Joel. Feelings can change, it might not have been love," She hesitates, then removes my jacket from her shoulders and gives it to me. "I'm good, thanks."

I take my jacket from her and put it back on. She no longer leans on me and I feel incomplete somehow. I sigh and she her gaze turns to me, lingering for a moment. I can't help myself and my eyes drop down quickly to her lips, but she notices and looks away.