13: Authorities

Stephanie

Stephanie

The police had just informed me that my father would go to jail...and I didn't feel relieved at all. In fact, I was very upset - unreasonably so. Hadn't this man ruined my life? He was the reason I was hurting so badly, and yet when I heard he'd be taken away I felt a strange bond with him, one that wanted me to prevent him from going in the first place.

I mean, obviously I had expected this. Abuse is not something to be taken lightly. But if he did end up in prison, what would happen to me? I'd practically be an orphan! Goodness, they might even consider putting me in an orphanage!

Both my mother and father's parents had died countless years ago, and they were both the only child of their family. I had no relatives, and I doubt anyone would want to take care of me, given the chance.

The policemen were both big and bulky, though one was blond and the other brown haired. The blond one introduced themselves to us, "Hello, I'm Officer Ashton and this is my partner, Officer Rodriguez. If you would kindly allow us, Miss Gravatt, to inspect your arm - we will be able to grasp the seriousness of this form of abuse."

"The hell you will touch her," My father says, but his voice wavers and the officer's most definitely notice it.

"I apologise, but I don't remember asking for your permission. It's Stephanie's body and of course, if she does not feel comfortable with me examining her bruises, I will not. The choice is hers, not yours." Officer Rodriguez gazes at me. "I will, of course, not do anything against your will but it is quite important for us to see the damage that has been done to you."

I consider. He did say that it was my choice, and he couldn't possibly force me, could he? If I said no, would I get in trouble with the cops? Was there a law stating that I couldn't refuse to a figure of their importance? I decide after a moment of thinking that it'd be safer for me to just let him see my arm.

I pull up my sleeve and the two men walk over to me, ignoring my father's threats and protests. One of them grasps my arm lightly while the other runs a hand gently along it. Officer Rodriguez looks up after a minute or so and exchanges a glance with his partner, and I assume it's a secret code for something.

Their expressions betray nothing, and after a while of everyone sitting in absolute silence, they let go of me and go outside. They don't say a word, so I feel like something bad is going to happen. Sebastian senses my distress and looks into my eyes, then gives me a small smile. I hear Joel gag. We both turn to look at him and he spins to face the wall, humming nonchalantly.

We all sit in utter silence. Not one person moves a muscle nor makes a sound. I'm sure the entire room can here my heart beating, and I'm positively certain it'll soon escape from the confinement that binds it, and run off.

It feels like eternity that we stay in silence, I don't even catch anyone's eye in fear
of attaining the pitying looks that I despise. Finally, the two officers enter the room once more and we all look up at them, almost simultaneously, practically begging them to relieve us of this awkwardness.

Honestly, I'm frightened. The expressions upon their faces are filled with solemnity, not even a hint of feeling speaking through their stone cold masks.

"Stephanie," Officer Rodriguez says. "I know it may seem far fetched to try and calm you like this, but there's nothing to be worried about. We will, however, require you and your father, perhaps a few of your friends as well, to come down with us to the station for a questioning. I wouldn't fret over it, all we need are honest answers and our job will be much easier, and you'll be able to leave quicker."

Officer Ashton looks at me reassuringly, but then his face hardens as he turns to glare at my father. "This is a compulsory step of our investigation, Mr. Gravatt, it is not optional, nor avoidable. I refuse to listen to your complaints or anything of the sort. You will join us at current time, and anything you say or do will be used against you, so I'd be quiet if I were you."

I gulp. "So, are my friends going to be coming with us, or...?"

"Ah yes," Officer Rodriguez says. "They will. I assume these three are your closest friends? Ones who've been with you for a while?"

"Mmhm." I nod.

"Alright then, may I have your names? I'd like to call your parents to inform them of your whereabouts."

They all state their full names and the officers nod, then go outside once more. We're all forced into another silence as we stare at the door, gazing intently to almost summon them back inside. They come back after a surprisingly short amount of time, and smile at my friends.

Officer Rodriguez tells them, "Yes, your parents are now aware of the situation and allow you to accompany us. We've spoken to the doctors, and will be setting off right now. Well," He pauses. "After another doctor comes in, since I've heard of slight issues with your previous one."

A doctor walks in as soon as he finishes talking and checks my vitals.

"Okay," She tells everyone. "Good to go. We'd just like a parent signature here and here. Mr Gravatt is?"

"Me," My father mutters. "What exactly am I signing?"

"Just a few documents to confirm that we've appropriately taken care of your daughter and such, you're free to read them."

"Yeah. No." He grabs the papers from the doctor, to her surprise, and scribbles his sloppy signature in the spaces that they're required. His signatures are quite huge though, and take up a lot more space then the doctor expected them to. She smiles at him, but it's quite obviously forced.

"Thanks," She says and disconnects me from the machine. "Good luck!" She whispers in my ear.

"Thank you," I reply.

"Now, before we're delayed further, I'd like to leave now," Officer Ashton says. "Follow me children."

Wilhelmina, who's been sitting quietly the whole time, finds this a good time to speak up," Actually, I needed to do some investigating of my own. I'm Wilhelmina, from the social services."

The officers look surprised. Officer Ashton apologises," Goodness, we're very sorry. We didn't even consider that you'd have business here. However, it is vital that we take these children out, so we're deeply apologetic but we'll have to leave now." He pauses to whisper to his partner. "However, you could come with us, wait outside, and then continue with your private questions and such?"

Wilhelmina sighs, "I suppose I don't really have a choice."

"Doesn't seem like it, lady," My father snarls, and walks out the door. "You guys coming or not?"

A/N: God, I really hate Randy Gravatt

A/N:
God, I really hate Randy Gravatt. He's so horrible! Jerk. Poor Stephanie, I wonder what is going to happen to her (just kidding, I know exactly what's going to happen).

Hope you all enjoyed, don't hesitate to vote and comment!

See you soon!