26: Huge Shockers (Pt 2)

Sonia

Sonia

"R-Rodriguez?" I stammer, horrified.

Sebastian grimaces. "They're working with the police force."

"Wait," I say, squeezing my eyes shut. "Just because they have the same last name doesn't necessarily mean that they are related..."

He sighs. "It's a small town, Sonia, coincidences like these are not likely. She's with them. The two officers on this case, it's a bunch of bullsh*t. They're hiding everything." He sits at my desk wearily. "And now they have the matchbox - and they know we're involved."

"No!" I gasp. "They won't harm us, will they? Oh god! I'm a victim now!"

"Welcome to the club."

I scowl. "This is hardly the time for jokes! We're talking about something SERIOUS!"

"You're right, I'm sorry. Do you think that she's staying with Officer Rodriguez?"

"Of course! He's a cop, they'll hardly suspect him!" I say, rolling my eyes.

"But, why would Officer Rodriguez have anything against us? We only just met him the day after the fire, I'd never even heard of him before then."

He looks so despondent that I find myself even more miserable than before. "I hate to say it, but you're right. This runs deeper."

"Bah!" He growls. "What is it with this stupid town? Everything is made out to be perfect, when things are literally falling to ashes! Stupid people, stupid places..."  I freeze, not knowing what to say, and he places his head gently on my desk. He says something, but I can't hear it.

"Pardon?"

"We need to talk to the mayor."

"What?! Sebastian, we can't trust anyone right now! Least of all the mayor! He's the top of the chain, he knows what's going on beneath!"

"Stop right there, just because he's they mayor doesn't mean he's involved in whatever the hell this is." He looks at me pointedly. "We're talking about the same person, right? Mr. This Town Needs More Donuts?"

I let out a small giggle. "Don't mock the mayor, it's not his fault that he's a bit thick."

"Right," He says sarcastically.

I sit on my bed, contemplating. "We need to find out about his familiars, perhaps his mother or sister has a grudge against us? Or our parents, maybe. It might be an ancient feud and they've just begun to take action!"

He frowns at me. "Sonia..."

"Fine. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it's definitely not him directly. How are Wilhelmina and Officer Rodriguez even related? Siblings? Wilhelmina's pretty old..."

"See? We need to speak to the mayor, he'll know. Or his," He types in the air. "Will know."

I sigh. "Just...just say computer."