12: Randy's Appearance

Unknown

Unknown

It truly isn't like I wanted to burn a house down - in fact quite the opposite. It is them who drove me to behave in such a distasteful way. In fact, I'm quite disgusted with what they forced me to do.

When time came to do the deed, I honestly was wary. But I'll admit that the thrill of lighting that match drowned out any unsureness, and something delightful sparked in my stomach. It grew quickly as I held the flame up. I felt connected with it, somehow.

It crackled fiercely like the soldier I wanted it to be, and almost begged for me to begin. I obliged, reasonably, and thrust the matchstick through the window, watching as it hesitated at first - then slowly the curtains caught fire.

The intoxicating smell of smoke felt more like the scent of victory for me as the fire spread steadily. I watched a while longer before skulking off into the sinister shadows of Stephanie's neighbourhood.

I hardly expected to see Sebastian sprinting down the street that quickly, then run into the burning house. I quaked with rage as he emerged shortly after, dragging out Stephanie's limp body behind him.

She was supposed to burn.

She was supposed to die.

I took a deep breath and sneered at him from afar. I'm unsatisfied.

Things are about to get messy, and I'm certain that Sebastian and Stephanie will soon be no more.

Sonia

I call Joel frantically, insistingly dialling his number until he finally picks up. "Joel! There was a fire! Stephanie's in the hospital! This is all my fault, I could've been there for her and now she's-"

"Sonia, this is not your fault. Do not blame yourself for something you didn't do. What if you had been there? You both would be in the hospital. I'm so glad you're safe. We have to go see her though, what's her condition?"

"I'm not sure, I only heard about this from the rumours that have been going around."

"Meet you at the hospital?"

"Definitely."

"See you in ten."

He hangs up and I sit down on my bed for a second. Would she even want to see us? I'm suddenly not sure whether I should go or not, but eventually decide that she'd probably want to see us more than her screw-up of a father. I change into a tank top although it highlights my tiny chest, and pull on a pair of comfy sweatpants.

Well, my weekend is off to a great start, I think to myself as I go downstairs. I realise my mother is still sleeping, so I leave her a little note telling her where I'm going.