10: Forced Confessions (Pt 2)

Stephanie

Stephanie

"Your father?" Sebastian's voice wavers uncertainly. "He hurts you?"

He pinches the bridge of his nose. "God, that makes so much sense. I can't believe that I didn't even question it - I mean, he's Randy Gravatt. Steph, I'm so sorry. I'm not mad, don't you even consider such an absurd thing! I understand why you didn't tell me. Did you tell Sonia though? Or Joel?"

I shake my head slowly. "You're the first Sebastian. Please don't tell anyone. Please! I don't want everyone looking at me even more disgustedly then they already do."

"Oh Stephanie, I would never tell anyone against your wishes." He presses my head against his chest and strokes my cheek gently.

"Do you think my father will go to jail?" I ask him.

He hesitates, searching for the right words. "I'm not sure - but he might."

"Oh," I say. "Will I have to go to court?"

"In this case, it does look like you will, yes."

"Would it be compulsory?"

"Stephanie, please stop worrying. I know it'll be hard, but right now we don't even know if he'll be seriously punished."

I hear a knock on the door and tell them to come in. A middle aged lady enters.

"Hello! You must be Stephanie," She says excitedly, but the facade is obvious.

"Yes, and you are?" I ask cautiously.

"Wilhelmina Reid, member of Guardian Angels."

I look at her blankly and she proceeds, "We're a form of child services, and I'm afraid we have a particularly grave matter to discuss concerning your father and..." She nods at my uncovered arm and I immediately pull my sleeve back down. "...that."

She looks at Sebastian. "And you are?"

"Oh!" He looks strangely startled for a moment before replying. "Sebastian Irwin, nice to meet you."

"May I ask what your relation to Stephanie is?" Wilhelmina inquires, whilst taking a seat in the sofa in my room.

Sebastian looks at me for a second before saying, "Boyfriend, miss."

She nods. "I apologise deeply, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. I have very important business to discuss with Stephanie."

I cut in, "With all due respect Ms. Reid-."

"-Wilhelmina," She corrects.

"-Wilhelmina, anything you'd like to say to me can be said in front of Sebastian."

Sebastian looks at me questioningly. "Are you sure?"

"100 percent," I tell him.

"I see..." She murmurs whilst tugging at her skirt nervously. "But I would much rather speak to you one-on-one."