04: A Fated Meeting

Stephanie

Stephanie

Flashback

"I believe we haven't met, which is an absolute shame because just looking at you I can tell I'm missing out by not being your friend."

That was the very first thing Sebastian ever said to me, I remember it word for word because it was the sweetest thing the other gender had said to me in forever. It was at that awkward age where girls and boys were just beginning to notice one another's existence again.

Like when you're little you can't care less who your friends are, then you grow apart and think that the opposite sex is vile and disgusting, then start having serious romantic relationships. It's the process of life, and everybody's childhood.

I'd never even thought about beginning to date, or getting a boyfriend at all before he spoke to me. I could've stayed oblivious to love for as long as I lived, and I would have no idea how delightful it was.

By this time girls such as Gwendoline had already began to consider boys 'cute' and attractive, giggling and gossiping with their friends about their qualities.

I'd thought them foolish, since I was a huge believer of woman rights at the time. I was all for:

"Woman don't need men to survive! All we need is each other!"

Seriously, Sebastian talking to me was probably the turning point of my little, pathetic life. Of course, being the person I was, I answered in probably the most shaming way, because I couldn't flirt to save my life.

"I've got plenty of friends, and I hardly think you'd care to be seen with people like me."

"You assume wrong. And people like you? Oh - you must mean the beautiful ones. I suppose I would pale in comparison since you'd take up all the spotlight, but I dare I say I could deal. Eventually."

I'd laughed and he'd smiled at me, a real, genuine smile. Not those mocking ones the class clowns give you when you screw up and everyone laughs, it had been a dazzling smile, all toothy, showing his perfect pearly-whites.

"Me, beautiful? Hardly. You're better off with girls like Gwendoline."

His nose had crinkled with pure disgust.

"If you think of pairing me with Gwen, you must not think very highly of me. I don't wish the burden of having her as a partner even upon my worst enemies."

I remembered cracking up so hard the teacher had spoke to me after class about my 'inappropriate behaviour'. Well, whatever. It's obvious even to the blind eye that teachers don't understand the meaning of inappropriate.

While nodding and pretending to feel very ashamed, I'd thought that this was worth it. I'd get into trouble a thousand times just to laugh like that again.