22: Family Reunion (Pt 2)

Stephanie

Stephanie

It doesn't take long for Carson, to finish signing the documents necessary for my legal guardian transference. I feel sick to my stomach as they emerge from wherever they'd disappeared to in the Police Station, and even more nauseous when Carson gives me a wink. I continue avoiding their eyes until they approach me, realising that I'm on my own, that neither Sonia or Joel can be here to help me.

"Stephanie?" I look up unenthusiastically and meet Officer Rodriguez's eyes. "You and your grandfather have much to discuss. Everything is settled at current time, I hope you enjoy the beginning of your new life."

I realise I don't even care about the consequences my words might have when I speak again, "Well, you've been a delight to meet Officer Rodriguez. Every word you've spoken has been filled with a delightful positivity and you've brightened my life since that day in the hospital. If you have nothing else to say, dripping with your usual sarcasm and cruelty, then I fear we must leave now. I hope our path's will not cross again any time soon. Goodbye."

I stand up and nod to him curtly which he returns with his usual cold stare, then grab my suitcase and walk outside. I feel Carson following me and I spin to face him. "Yes. The important things we have to discuss. What are they?"

He looks uncomfortable, but makes sure his eye contact with me never wavers. "So, I assume you've already thought about the education side of this change? How it will be difficult for you to still attend your current school?"

"Yes, and I have come to the conclusion that if you're unwilling to drive me here in the mornings, then I will endure the 30 minute walk it will take me to go by myself." I see him struggling to find the right words to say to me, and I almost feel bad for him. Almost.

"I just think that it might be nice to have a fresh start, we have a school that's a 5 minute drive from the farm." He suddenly gasps. "I didn't tell you about Harvey. Oh my goodness, I didn't tell you about Harvey!" He continues muttering to himself and I genuinely wonder if he's a psycho, but he stops after a while of standing in the middle of the street. Delicately pulling my suitcase handle from my fingers, he tells me to follow him.

I go after him, but from a safe distance, and ever so often he turns to sneak a glance at me. Well, he thinks he's being sneaky, but he doesn't know I'm watching him and thinking he's deranged or something.

A few minutes later we arrive at a red Ford Ranger and I stare at it, my jaw hanging off it's hinges. It almost gleams in the sunlight and I reach a hand out and stroke it gently, gasping as my skin comes in contact with the smooth surface. I look at Carson and find him on the phone, leaning nonchalantly on his car.

"Patricia no, it's not time to go shopping darling. We're waiting for you at the car, please hurry, you know Harvey gets scared if he's home alone for too long."