03: Sweet Second Chances

Stephanie

Stephanie

As soon as I enter the cafeteria, I know I've overreacted. Just by looking at the smiling faces of everyone else, laughing with their friends, I realise the depressing truth. I don't have any friends besides Joel and Sonia.

A few girls look up at me and giggle to their friends, proceeding to lean over the table and whisper to one another, not even bothering to be subtle. However, because of the noisiness of the hall, their whispers escalate to regular talking and I manage to catch parts of their conversations.

"...separated from her own loser group..."

"...no sense of style..."

"...can't believe Sebastian dated..."

Before I realise, tears are creeping down my cheeks and I hear laughter arise. I turn on my heels and run out of the cafeteria, feeling the most ashamed I've ever felt. All I can think about is getting far away from here, and I'm so absorbed in my self-pity that I don't see Sebastian until it's too late.

"Woah there!" He exclaims, stepping back. "Wait a second, are you crying? What happened Steph?"

I've dreamed of talking to Sebastian so many times, I've lost count. But I've never been crying in any of them, or so desperate to get away from him either.

Suddenly, I find myself thinking, how dare he ask me how I feel when he already knows? His eyes look kind, his demeanour relaxed, just like the first time I met him, but now I know the heartbreak he is capable of causing. This time, I feel an unmistakable anger, the burn of the truth coming back.

"Only my friends and family call me Steph. Last time I checked, you're neither."

"Please Stephanie, hear me out." He pleads as I barge past him. As I walk out of his grasp he grabs my arm, his slender fingers coiling around. My feelings skyrocket as I clench my teeth and my entire body visibly tenses. My head turns sharply and I see his face the picture of horror, as what he has done dawns on him.

"I'm s-"

"No," I interrupt furiously, freeing my arm from his now limp hold. "How dare you even think about talking to me after every single thing you've done? As if cheating on me our whole relationship wasn't bad enough, now you expect me to listen to you? Are out of your FREAKING mind? I'd rather associate myself with dirt than you! And, it's not even like you did it as a fling! You were two-timing me and that other poor girl for nearly a year! You must be deranged to think I want to even breath the same air as you!"

He could  look furious, outraged, confused and I'd be happy. Anything would have been better, because then I wouldn't feel the pain I do now. A single tear slides down his cheek, slowly, and I force my eyes away.

"Oh geez, you're right," He chokes out. "I can't, can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am. No words can make up for what I've done, but one thing I think I deserve is a chance to explain. Please. You dumped me before I could even tell you what really happened. Please, Stephanie. One chance. I'm begging you."