25: Huge Shockers

Sonia

Sonia

The day passes almost too slowly, the sound of the clock ticking steadily driving me insane. I struggle to listen to what my teachers are saying, so obviously, nothing goes right for me today.

"Sonia, if you could please give me an answer?" I look up, shocked, and see the whole class glaring at me as Mr. Turner stands expectantly at the front.

"Umm..." I frantically peer at the board for any evidence of what the question may be, but it provides me with nothing more then deeper confusion.

"Could you please repeat the question?" I ask tentatively, and I can almost swear Mr. Turner rolls his eyes.

"Ah, sure, let me just ask you again for the what, fifth time?" He says sarcastically, and I grimace. He repeats himself and just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it gets worse.

"What do the Kayapo Tribe make out of the trees of the Amazon Rainforest?" Huh. We haven't learnt about the Amazon Rainforest before.

Which must mean we started today. Great.

"I don't know."

"Thank you Sonia, for wasting our time immensely. Oh and also, if it isn't too much to ask, could you perhaps listen to me explain the lesson? You know, if it's alright with you." I frown, but hear the quiet laughs of my classmates as they chuckle under their breaths. Mr. Turner doesn't ask me anything else for the rest of the lesson, and when the bell goes I eagerly leave the classroom.

I find Joel waiting for me outside and collapse into his arms. "Take me homeee," I moan, and he laughs audibly. The walk home is calm and peaceful, the weather hot, but with the occasional breeze blowing past. When Joel looks at me I plaster on what I hope is a convincing smile, but my thoughts are clouded over with darkness. He couldn't possibly have tried to kill Stephanie. We were all best friends, why on earth would he do that?

Because he was heartbroken, a small voice murmurs in the back of my head. I shake it out and Joel glances at me curiously. "Fly, those pesky insects,"I say, and he nods.

By the time we get to my house my heart is pounding steadily, even more so when Joel asks me, "Are you truly alright, Sonia? You said you had to confess something, you aren't moving are you?"

"No, no. Nothing like that, don't worry. It's still pretty serious though, but I trust you enough."

"That's reassuring to hear! Can you imagine you moving away only days after we become official?"

I titter nervously. "Ha! That would be tragic!"

"Absolutely." We say our quick hello's to my mother, and I take his hand in mine as I lead him upstairs.

"So," I begin as we enter my room. He gazes at me curiously. "As you already know, somebody tried to kill Stephanie by setting alight her house."

His face goes serious. "Yes, of course."