~ Chapter 17: Paying Respect ~

Start from the beginning

In a strange sense, it reminded you of your own home. The city you grew up in where life was quiet and very little truly happened. Most of the people there wanted that life, and who were you to judge them of that? It wasn't the future you wanted, so you were grateful when Yirel refused to stay there to start your lives. If he had chosen a path any more different then your fate would have been so much more different. You wouldn't be where you were, with the true man you loved more than anything else.

As you had drifted away deep in thought, Grimm slipped your hand into his own which caught your attention. His eyes expressed a sweet emotion like always but also with a hint of timidness as he asked,

"I... Actually wanted to come up here to visit my mother's grave. I was only informed of her passing by a Grimmkin and never had the chance to visit her before we were called to the city." He glanced in the opposite direction of town where you could see small sets of gravestones. You knew how much his mother meant to him, and you knew that he was now in an extremely vulnerable mindset. In that case, you placed a warm smile onto your lips and told him,

"I don't mind accompanying you then dear." This made him relax a bit more and you could see as he began to lighten up a bit more as well. With that agreement, Grimm and you began walking towards the graves of fallen townspeople. There weren't much and when looking closely at their dates and wear, it was clear how many dated to the time of the infection.

"The town was almost completely dead by the time my father appeared with the troupe. Maybe only a handful of townspeople remained to hopefully let the infection pass over. My mother had lost her entire family and thus found safety with my father and with the Knight. They both understood one another better than anyone else could. When my father passed, she was shatter but knew then that she could move on." Grimm's eyes glanced from tombstone to tombstone as he then halted in front of one that looked newer. Beside it was two other graves that were unmarked but small vines still grew over the top of them. Grimm kneeled down beside the one and lowered his head. "I thank you, Ghost, for the sacrifice you gave to save our home. Watch over us and protect us still." He whispered as if restating the words from memory. That was when you realized the name Ghost was in connection to the Knight which saved Hallownest. You briefly kneeled next to Grimm who smiled at your shocked and awe expression.

"This is where they are buried? Next to your mother?"

"Yes. They were like siblings, remember? They protected Hallownest to ensure my mother could protect me and herself." He chuckled. You then gently touched the vines that seemed dead as of now.

"What are these vines for?" You decided to change the topic.

"They are vines that produce Delicate Flowers. Before Ghost fought Radiance they gave her and a few other these rare but powerful flowers that give off a soft glow. When my mother brought their remains to bury them, she gave them her flower... Now every spring Delicate Flowers bloom for passersby to take and to remember Ghost's sacrifices. Every start of spring, my mother and I would come here to honor Ghost. A vessel who was seen as unfit to save Hallownest, but proved everyone wrong with their kind heart, strong mind, and powerful soul." He smiled warmly down at Ghost's grave before his eyes trained onto the one grave with a tombstone.

When you looked at the grave, you felt a weird sensation. That of a heavy sensation in your chest. The name on it matched Grimm's mother, the old lady who you had seen right before she died. She never learned your name, did she? Grimm stared at it for a long time, his breathing tried to remain calm and slow but you could see the small cracks of pain. His loss coming forward finally, it was as if the loss of her finally hit him. Seeing her buried and her name on a piece of stone... The body that held him close and loved him his entire life now under the ground and out of reach. Tears filled the lower brim of his red eyes, which reflected from the glow of his warm eyes. He blinked in an attempt to push them away but that only caused them to drip down his mask and face. He was trembling, and that only made you want to comfort him more.

You scooted closer to Grimm and wrapped your arms around the mourning male. Wrapping him in the cloak like he had done to you earlier to keep you warm, you now did so to give him comfort. This action gave him the key to let out his pent up sadness as he hugged you tightly and let out a small sob which escalated into complete crying. He hid his face in the shoulder of the cloak as he lamented openly, and you gave him gentle words of comfort.

"It's okay dear. It'll all be okay." You told him multiple times over along with other calm words. After a few, he grew the energy to raise his head and wipe his eyes. He didn't seem comfortable with regaining eye contact with you after his moment, but he did clear his throat to tell you,

"Thank you, Y/n. I don't know how I would have gone here without you honestly. I knew this was the only time I may have to see where my mother was put to rest... I'm glad I could have you here to support me." He put on a soft smile and you did your best to give a wider smile and seem understanding.

"You helped me, Grimm. Being here for you is the least I could do." This earned a weak chuckle as he looked back at her grave one last time.

"I think it is time to head back to Divine and Brumm. We don't want to be the ones to hold up our travel." He commented as he stood up onto his feet again. His eyes then trailing back to Ghost's grave. "Keep watching over mother for me... Keep her safe like you always did." you heard him whisper. As you stood up to your feet, the two of you began your journey back to the caravan. Though the feeling in your chest did not fade...

As you were close to exiting the graveyard, a part of you felt the urge to look back like how you always felt in your dreams. So you did.

Standing over Grimm's mother's grave was the woman from your dream. Her eyes trained on you as a small shy smile graced her lips as her white gown blew in the cold wind. The red lace on its hem moving freely. That was when it hit you... The woman.

She was Grimm's mother, the old lady who you met your first day in Hallownest. The one you helped back to her home, where she then died. His mother had been speaking to you in your dreams. You didn't have time to react as of now, though on the whole way back to the caravan you were left with even more questions than answers. Only time could tell you when you would see her then, and when you did... You had so many more questions for her.