a lost encounter

?? POV

I get to work 1 minute before my shift starts as usual. I run in behind the counter and throw my Yankees hat off.

"Damn almost late as usual," my coworker, Jake, teases me.

"Yea and what about it?" I smirk back at him.

He just shakes his head at me while I go to grab my apron from the back room. Of course my manager is there and she gives me a glare of annoyance. I give her a shy smile in return while I clock in and sneak back out to the front.

"Can you help at the register?" Jake asks as he uses the espresso machine.

I nod while heading over towards the customer that's been waiting.

"What can I get started for you?" I ask while tying the black apron around my waist.

"Can I just get a green tea?" the girl asks.

"Sure, iced or hot?"

"Ummm, hot please," she takes off her hat revealing her full face.

I get a glimpse and quickly look back down to type in her order, "that's $2.75..."

She takes out three dollar bills and hands them to me as I return her a quarter. She then places it in the tip jar and turns around without saying anything else. I watch as she carefully finds a seat at the table in front of the window that looks out at the busy streets. She then pulls out a book and starts to read.

Jake hits the side of my arm making me wince, "ah what is it?"

"Did you not hear me? Was the tea iced or hot?" he asks.

"Uhhh," I look at him, "I'll make it don't worry about it."

Thankfully there weren't any others in line so I could make the drink. I get one of our glass mugs and pour the hot tea in it. I place the mug on a wooden tray as the tea steams up the glass. I carefully walk around the counter and deliver her the tea.

She looks up at me and just nods while taking the mug off the tray, "thanks."

"No problem," I respond before walking back, holding the now empty tray in my hand. I tried to glance at the book she was reading but she had it covered with her sleeve.

I go back behind the counter and keep catching myself looking at her.
"What is it?" Jake asks trying to figure out what I'm staring at.

I look at him and pretend to clean, "nothing."

"Nothing my ass," he laughs, "I know when you're not focused."

"Sure you do."

"It's the girl that ordered the tea isn't it?"

I furrow my eyebrows at him, "hm? What do you mean?"

"She's always here," he nods in her direction.

"Really? I've never noticed," I stare at the back of her as she reads.

"Yea she's always here reading, I don't know if she's in school or not because she looks pretty young. Maybe around your age."

"Maybe she's taking online courses too," I softly say out loud.

"I don't know, why don't you go ask her," he jokes then pokes me as a sign to help the next customer in line.

I shake my head out of my thoughts and walk over to the register. I run my hand through my hair while helping the customer, "what can I get started for you?"

The girl was in the cafe for almost 2 hours. She had finished her drink long ago but as I clean the espresso machine, I see her come up and return the empty mug. She doesn't look at me or anything, and just turns around and leaves.