XXXVIII(38)

Y e a r    2 0 1 5 

You hum along the song on the radio, driving on the way to university in a good mood. 

" You're really excited for our graduation? f/n-chan?" your best friend of two years, Ichika, asks you while she soothes out her purple Hakama attire, a traditional Japanese attire for university graduations. 

" yes, of course. I can't wait to leave school." You smirk, smoothly steering the wheel to the right. As your car turns, your phone rings loudly. You quickly glance to see the name on the screen, you smile from ear to ear when you see Ushijima's name pop up.

" Hey. How's it going in Korea? " Sweetly, you ask him. You've missed him so much, he's been travelling to different countries for games. Right now, Ushijima's currently in Korea for a Championship game. Your best friend looks at you in surprise, she knew you were taken but the mystery of not knowing who your boyfriend is piqued her interest. She quietly eavesdrop on the conversation.

" It's going great. We won the game against Korea yesterday" you proudly smile at Ushijima's reply. 

Game? Korea? Is he a basketball player? 

These thoughts wander in Ichika's head. 

Your eyes turn to the road and quickly to your phone. " Great. So... are you in Japan now?" you ask him as you bite your lip. You pray that Ushijima has already arrived in Japan to attend you graduation ceremony.

Silence fills the car, you and bf/n look at each other.  " f/n-chan... I'm sorry. My flight was cancelled." 

Or so you thought. 

Ushijima's tone sounded disappointed and frustrated. You slump your shoulder in disappointment as you pout your lips. 

" You couldn't have told me earlier? I was expecting you to come to my graduation you know." Frustrated, you scold Ushijima. This is the first time Ushijima has disappointed you, and the feeling of it isn't a good thing.

" I'm sorry, that's why I called you. I'm currently settling an arrangement with the flight attendants right now. They said I'll be in Japan in about three hours." Ushijima pleads. His tone gets sadder and sadder as the call progresses.

" It's my graduation, Oshi. "

" I know, I know. I'm trying my hardest" your eyes tear up, you become frustrated as to why you can't get mad at him. Your best friend calms you down by placing her hand on your shoulder, you breath in and out, all while Ushijima remains on the line.

" I-i'm sorry. I just need to calm myself down. " You abruptly end the call as tears streams down your face. Your best friend panics at the sight of your makeup smearing.

" Oh. Oh my God. f/n-chan I know you're upset but don't cry. I don't want you to look like a ghost on the ceremony!" She quickly dabs tissue on your cheek, attempting to stop your tears from ruining your makeup.

Throughout the ceremony, you couldn't help but feel horrible. Your day was ruined, not because of your makeup smearing but because of Ushiima. The person who you wouldn't expect to make you feel this way. You were mindless as you walked up the stage to get your diploma. You scan the venue, hoping to see Ushijima's face. The faces of your smiling parents at least made you feel a little better.

" Yay! We've graduated!" Ichika hugs you tightly, you get a whiff of her strong vanilla perfume. She tries to fix your hair by arranging it's strands properly. The wind blows, the leaves of the cherry blossom trees surrounding you glides along the wind.

" Don't worry, f/n-chan. I know he'll be here. You've been dating for what, four years? Put a little trust in him okay?" she reassures you while rubbing your shoulder for comfort. You gently smile at her.