XXVIII (28)

The four of you sit around the dinner table with your hands clasped on top of each other. This scenario reminded you so much of the argument that happened two days ago, except your parents are much calmer and composed. 

"Ushijima-kun, thank you so much for telling us immediately.." your mother sighs in relief, she places her hand on top of Ushijima's with a very appreciative look on her face.

" it was the first time f/n has made a rash decision so I thought it was best for you to know about it...." Ushijima sat in a straight posture, his face has a calm expression. 

"Yes. That's why we're very relieved that you did that. If you haven't done that, the police would've already been searching for her already." Your mother takes a peek at you. You feel guilty for having inconsiderate thoughts about your parents not caring about you.

" Ushiji- no. Wakatoshi-kun..." your father calls out with his lips curved into an apologetic smile. " we apologize for losing our composure around you like that..." he continues.

"we talked a lot about the situation and we realized.... that you should be able to do whatever you want since you two are both.... a couple..." your father looks around awkwardly.

"a-and also the fact that you two are already eighteen. Let's not forget that,honey. You two should have the freedom you guys deserve." she lightly slaps your father's arm. 

" B-but.. that doesn't mean you guys should... uhm... Should.." words fail to slip out of her mouth as she struggles to speak, it was an awkward topic for her after all. You leer at Ushijima who was genuinely trying to listen.

" f/n-chan, what your mother is trying to say is that..... as parents we feel like we..... " your father lets out an exhausted sigh. 

" basically, we don't want any grand kids yet. So it's better to practice it safely, do you understand, f/n?" 

your eyebrows furrow, you try to process what your father had just said. You turn to Ushijima who appears to be confused as well. You quickly turn your head over towards your father as soon as you realized what he meant.

"W-w-what... what are you talking about dad?! geez!" you press your hand to your eyes, covering them in embarrassment. 

" I'm not quite sure what you mean, Mr. l/n but I'll try to consider it." you face palm at your boyfriend's response. Your face has already turned bright red due to your father's comment.

Your father giggles. " Wakatoshi-kun, you're a really funny man. I like you!" he pats Ushijima on the shoulder.

" but we're serious, f/n. You know how teenage preg-"

"Enough already mom! I know, I know, okay?!" your head lowers in embarrassment while your face gets heated up.

" Uhm. I apologize for breaking this happy moment but I... have a few questions to ask..." Ushijima's voice sounded fatigued, it was as if what he's about to talk about would hurt him.

" Sure, what is it? Wakatoshi-kun?" your father cups his hands together while he looks at Ushijima sincerely. 

" Mr. l/n-"

"call me uncle" you and your mother swiftly turn your heads towards both men. 

"U-uncle... I'd like to know more about what happened between my mom and dad. To be honest, it's been bothering me since that night" Ushijima strokes his hand with his other thumb, trying to comfort himself. " you said you knew both of them, yes?" he adds.

Your father lets out a sigh. " you're right. I knew both of them from high school. Your mom and I were actually close friends back then. I was the one who introduced your mother to Usui-san ( Ushijima's father)"  both of you listen intently. You wanted to know more about Ushijima's family too.