xᴠɪɪɪ

Two weeks had passed-- two weeks since you and Ushijima Wakatoshi finally confessed to each other, and two weeks since you both started dating and sending each other sweet messages on the phone. Although it was really hard for Ushijima to do, he found out that you really liked his good night texts so he continued on with it. Ever since that day, you and Ushijima became closer and more open to each other.

You told Ushijima about the conflict between you and your mother. The expression on his face when you told him you had promised your mom to go to Tokyo University was so vivid. His eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes were widened with shock. You thought the expression he showed that day was his most expressive one yet.

Ushijima kept encouraging you every day, even as little as the words: 'You'll be fine, I'm here.' meant a lot to you. That's how it always was, his words, even though they were only a few, meant a lot to you.

You get ready for school and put on your light blue dress shirt and purple skirt. The simple white jacket lined with a purple line on both collars hung on the wall. You grabbed the white jacket and wore it. Lastly, you put on your long, knee-high white socks and your black doll shoes. As you got dressed, you recall your first date with Ushijima.

Ushijima decided to invite you to a fancy restaurant. It was awkward at first, you weren't going to lie. No words were said in the first few minutes. You were a nervous wreck, of course. It was a date with THE Ushijima Wakatoshi, after all. However, in the end, both of you became less wary of each other's thoughts and just had fun. That was the first time you and Ushijima held a conversation for two hours. You were the one who mostly led it though.

"Alright!" It's been a while since you've heard coach Saito's enthusiastic voice. He called all of you over. It's time for practices again and as promised, the whole week will be full of practices. The coaches needed to make sure the players get enough strong enough before the dreaded exam season begins so they secured the full week just for that.

Following the coach's orders, you and all of Shiratorizawa's volleyball club members formed up in front of the two coaches.

"I'm glad to see all of you in good shape! As you guys know, this week, we will be practicing with players from the University of Miyagi and other colleges which means you all will have to work extra hard today and for the rest of the week." The coach makes eye contact with all the players, including you.

"I expect to see your highest performance from here on out since we will be working with higher-level players, all right?" The coach clapped his hands with a smile on his face, signalling the players to begin their warm-ups.

'Weird,' you thought to yourself. Indeed, it was weird for the head coach to not say anything during a meeting. He was oddly quiet and more serious. Before you help the players with their warm-ups, the head coach, Washijo, gave you a serious look with his arms clasped behind his back. It was the look that clearly says 'You. I need to talk to you because you've done something unacceptable.' 

That look made you anxious as you walk towards him. You gulped before saying anything. "Y-yes coach? Do you need anything from me?" you asked, hands trembling with fear as you try to withstand your shakiness.

You expected a yell, something aggressive to come out of his mouth yet your expectations were met with a harsh sigh. The coach let out a sigh, "I've heard from Goshiki." He looked at you with such disappointment.

You raised an eyebrow in confusion. Heard about what, exactly?  "About you and Ushijima, L/n."

You gasped quietly at his response. All of a sudden, your heart started beating at an incredibly fast rate.

'Goshiki told them?' A huge feeling of disappointment rushed over you. The boys promised not to tell you and yet here you are, getting in trouble for the same thing they promised not to tell.

"I-I..." The right words wouldn't come out of your mouth. You bit your lip, holding the urge to let your tears fall down your cheeks. Ever since the beginning, the head coach never wanted any distractions for their star player, Ushijima. Of course, it wasn't a problem when you were first years but now that you and Ushijima are actually dating, you were positive that the coach isn't going to approve of the relationship.

"I'm not your parent, L/n. I'm not Ushijima's parent either, if you want to date each other then I can't do anything about it." The coach's response wasn't the one you were expecting at all, your mouth opened slightly as you continued to listen intently.

" But I thought I made it clear... It's his last year in Shiratorizawa, I want Ushijima to be at his best. I want him to win the nationals. Do you get what I'm saying, L/n?"

Silence. 

You were filled with sadness and disappointment that you couldn't even reply to the coach. Lowering your head a little, you clenched your fist. You were about to say something until you felt a large and warm hand rested on your shoulder. You turned around and saw Ushijima. The coach looked up and stared at Ushijima in the eyes. The look your boyfriend gave a clue about your conversation with the coach and he finally stepped in.

"Coach, If this is about me and F/n, you don't need to worry. Whether I'm distracted, dating someone, overwhelmed or tired, I would never lose a game. I can guarantee you, I will win. Nationals or not," reassured Ushijima. The coach changed his expression. Naturally, he was shocked because of his response. This was the first time coach Washijo heard Ushijima speak so fondly about anything. The coach's expression softens up.

"You're right. I ner should have doubted you Ushijima, L/n." With that, the coach gave both of you a faint smile and walked past you. You let out a deep and relieved sigh, thankful that the coach didn't get extremely mad at you.

"F/n, remember when you told me about Suzuki-sensei's offer?" Ushijima asked you, his expression softened as he looked at his girlfriend.

"Y-yeah." Your weak response caused Ushijima to worry and he immediately placed his palm over your head to pat it softly.

"You don't need to worry about that. I'll win it for sure." He gave you a warm smile, and you smiled back at him. You felt like your worries disappeared after you saw his gentle smile. At this point, you realized how much of a good boyfriend Ushijima is. He seems cold and stoic on the outside but in reality, he's an awkward, sweet guy. Traits that only his close friends and teammates can see.

You realized how lucky you are, and how thankful you are for joining the Shiratorizawa Academy's Volleyball club.