•ɪ

It's been five months since you confessed to Oikawa Tooru, the setter of your school, Kitagawa Daiichi Junior High. You've been crushing on him since you transferred here, but couldn't find the courage to tell him how you felt.

Once you did, you thought he wouldn't accept your feelings, but fortunately he did. To your surprise, it all worked out. Both of you felt thrilled, despite his busy schedule filled with practices. However, these past few days he smiled less and spent almost all of his time at the gym, overworking himself.

It's your birthday today, so you waited patiently for Oikawa beside the school gate. It was the time for club practices and you grew anxious while waiting for your boyfriend. The sun began setting, a bright orange hue covered the skies.

"l/n-san," a familiar voice called out to you. It's Oikawa's best friend, Iwaizumi Hajime.

"Iwaizumi-san, have you seen Oikawa?" you asked, eyes almost tearing up as you grew anxious.

"Oh, he's at the gym practicing his serves again. Ever since our new setter joined our team he has been practicing a lot more these days. What's wrong?" His face showed concern as he sees the glossiness in your eyes.

'So he did forget' you thought to yourself. You grip the handle of your bag tightly and fake a smile.

"Nothing, tell Oikawa to stop overworking himself, okay? And please tell him to greet me a happy birthday when he gets home."

His eyes widened in shock. "It's your birthday?" Iwaizumi asked.

"Yeah... Well then, I'll be going home now" Leaving Iwaizumi in surprise, you walked further away from the school. Tears streamed down your face like rain. Oikawa Tooru has broken your heart for the first time.

You weren't expecting a lot from him, a simple greeting would have sufficed-- but you never thought that he'd forget your birthday like that, especially since he seemed excited about it the week before. You've never felt this insecure about yourself. All your fears about him finding you unlikable resurfaced.

'Maybe he lost interest in me,' you thought negatively.

__________

Iwaizumi was left in shock after what you told him.

'It was her birthday yet that dumb-ass Oikawa was more concerned about practicing his serves, ' Iwaizumi thought to himself. He walked towards the gym. The sound of balls getting aggressively spiked got louder and louder.

"Please teach me how to serve!" The voice of the young setter echoed throughout the gym. Iwaizumi quickly opened the door to see what was happening. His eyes shot wide open as he saw Oikawa raising his arm to slap the innocent boy. Iwaizumi quickly ran to stop his friend from committing an act of violence.

"Oikawa! what the hell is wrong with you!" He shouted out loud and grabbed his best friend's gym shirt. It was loud enough for Oikawa to snap back into reality. The young setter, Kageyama Tobio, sensed the tension and immediately ran away.

Oikawa's breaths paced awkwardly. It was as if he was out of his mind.

"To beat that bastard Ushiwaka, I have to perfect my serves and my tosses..." Oikawa replied.

He looked at Iwaizumi in the eyes. "I want to go to the nationals Iwaizumi! I want to win every match-"

"Cut the bullshit. I'm tired of your 'I want to' or ' I need to'..."