XXXIII (33)

The day of the Spring Inter-high Qualifier Finals is finally taking event. The stadium fills up in less than half an hour, excited to witness the battle of the crows versus eagle. " l/n-chan? Do you have everything prepared?" Coach Saito asks before the team boards the big bus. You frantically look at the pile of bags sitting beside you, counting them in your head. One for drinks, one for towels. You nod your head after you feel satisfied that all the items the team needed is complete. 

Footsteps of the boys stepping in the bus arise, the coaches do a last head count and realize the top player, Ushijima was late. Even though he had already told the team he might be a few minutes late today, you guys never thought that he would be this late. It was weird to all of you since Ushijima was never late to any game. 

Your heart begins to pound nervously. " Where could he be?" You whisper the questions to yourself. " hey, f/n-chan. Call Wakatoshi-Kun, he'll answer if it's you" Tendou's head peeks out of the bus window, which was already rolled down despite the bus having an ac system. You nod your head in agreement and began to press your fingers on your phone screen, dialling your boyfriend's number.

A few rings later, Ushijima finally picks up. "Wakatoshi, are you alright? Where are you?" You press him with questions. Ushijima stays silent for a few seconds before he answers. " Yeah. Sorry, I'm going to be late for a while. Yua is driving me to the stadium" 

You furrow your eyebrows at his response. His voice sounded sad, even though it almost sounded monotone, but to you it sounded like he was dejected. You wanted to ask if he was fine but the abrupt sound of the call ending didn't make it happen. You explained the situation to the team, even though you were confused and worried but you carried on. Throughout the whole bus ride, all you felt was worry. What if something had happened to Ushijima? You ask yourself these questions. 

The bus parks at the stadium. You hold up your wrist to look at the time. " ten minutes left until game time" you mumble. The sleeping heads of the boys rose up at the same time.

"We're here?" Goshiki's voice wakes the others up. Coach Saito claps his hands together to gather attention. " Alright guys, let's all head to the gym quickly. The other team must be warming up already" 

All of you began to unload from the bus. You see a familiar man standing in front of the stadium with his hands inside the pockets of his jersey, a familiar woman stands beside him. Your feet quickly walks towards the two, worried so sick that your heart was about to pop off. 

" Wakatoshi!" You greet him with a hug. Ushijima wraps his arms around you, trying his best to maintain positive. You break off from the hug and smiled at Yua, who returned a kind smile  back to you. " Sorry. We had a little mishap at home" she announces sadly. Ushijima looks away before you could ask him. The team catches up to you and asks Ushijima the necessary questions. He shrugged it off and told the team he had something important to do, which in return, worried you even more.

Yua told you she was going to watch the game and that comforted you a little bit. With no time to prepare in the locker room, you and the team head to the gym. The loud cheers from the cheering squad echoes through the stadium. Familiar jerseys of black and orange all face you and the team, the boys from Karasuno stare at Shiratorizawa with the look of determination and greed. For some reason, it gave you the creeps. Like they were ready to devour any sort of food in front of them, and it didn't matter what type of food it was.  Another set of loud cheers flood the gym but this time it was from Karasuno. Compared to the Karasuno cheering team, your squad fills up almost half of the seats. Shiratorizawa takes full pride of their school's volleyball team and the numbers speaks for itself.

Ushijima walks in front of the team with full confidence while the cheers get louder and louder. You grab their attention by gently whistling on your metal whistle. " Spiking warm ups" no other words were needed for the team to grasp what you were saying. Quickly, like a row of ants carrying their food, the team prepares the basket of balls and begins their spiking warm ups. They all line up expect for Shirabu and Ushijima, who were standing in front of the net.