XXIV (24)

"Ushijima Wakatoshi?!" Your father takes a few steps forward, clearly in shock. Your boyfriend, who was on top of you a few seconds ago swiftly pulls away from you. He sits on the ground, his hands in front of his knees as he tries to remain calm.

" It really is you! You look just like your dad! " the h/c haired father walks closer towards your confused boyfriend, leaving your mother behind, in shock. Her fists are clenched as she freezes on spot, still processing the situation.

"P-pardon?" Ushijima's deep voice started to turn shaky, obviously ashamed and embarrassed that this was going to be his first impression from your parents. Ushijima stands up, trying to recollect himself as he meets eye to eye with your excited father. You were left confused and bewildered.

' He doesn't even care ' you think.

" Do you remember me? " Your father enthusiastically asks, his hand on top of Ushijima's shoulder. Your boyfriend's heart begins to pound mercilessly, even he wouldn't be this nervous during a game. Ushijima hesitantly shakes his head in response.

"As I thought... I remember when you were still a child, I was playing with you with a volleyball.." 

' what?' you ask inside your mind. Your knees start to shake as you stand up, you see your mom still in disbelief. She looks at you, eyes narrowed. You try to avert her eyes but the feeling of her stares still lingers in you.

"I- I apologize I don't recall" Ushijima looks away, clearly taken aback by the situation.

" Your father and I were in the same team. He and I were Division 2 players." Your father's lips form a nostalgic smile on his face.

' wait.. wait a minute' you experience an epiphany. You remember your father's yearbook photos. Vivid flashbacks run through your mind like a video player. You recall a tall, handsome man standing beside your father, holding a volleyball in his hands and his arm around your father's shoulder. Both smile from ear to ear as your father holds a sign, a sign that says ' First place in Nationals!!!'

' your father's teammate was Ushijima's father?' your eyes turn to Ushijima and your father.

' but wasn't the man's last name Usui? ' you try to remember the caption on your father's volleyball team photo. The caption had all the names of all the boys with their corresponding jersey numbers.

" You.... you were on the same team?"  Dumbfounded, Ushijima tries to get a clearer picture in his head. He was confused but at the same time, astonished.

" Yeah but after college we only hung out to take care of you one time...." a sad smile forms on your father's face. He looks at Ushijima sincerely.

" How is he now?" For some reason, there was a hint of sadness in your father's voice. 

" I'm sorry, I don't know. My father and my mother divorced when I was five and I.... I don't know where he is." Ushijima, the boy who would usually say things in a stoic manner , has now said something with a sad tone in his voice. You gasp at his reply, you didn't know that his parents were divorced. Ushijima wasn't the type to talk about himself. 

Your father's eyes widened. His fist turns into a clench as he lowers his head down. " Ichika....." His voice sounded hurt, like he suddenly recalled something from his past.

"Y- you know my mother too?" You were shocked at how teary eyed Ushijima looked. You have never seen him this way. 

"I'm sorry but is this how we go about what happened earlier?" Your mom's authoritative voice cuts off the scene. Ushijima flinches back to reality.

" Mom not now" you plead, facing her. 

"Not now? What the hell were you doing, f/n?? " She raises her voice, alternately looking at you and Ushijima.