The boy chat

"Sis." Eliza appears at my door. "I'm having... boy problems."
I pat the space on the bed next to me.
"Come sit."
She does as told, closing the door behind her.
"So..." I say. "Spill."
She puts her head on my shoulder and I give her a hug.
"You know that boy Alexander? Well, me and him hit it off and-"
"Yeah, you kissed."
She blushes. "How did you know that."
I smile. I really don't care that much. It's Eliza's life not mine.
"I saw. Don't worry. It doesn't matter too much to me."
She smiles, comforted. "Thanks, but that wasn't what I was going to ask. Basically, he asked for my number. I gave it to him. We talked a lot at the party. Got quite close. Then the moment the party ends, I expected a text or two. But he hasn't talked to me online or in school for a week and I don't understand. He kisses me, then ignores me. I really hope he's not looking to do... things just yet, because I wouldn't be ready for that. But he kissed me and that meant something to me. Even if it was nothing to him. What do I do?"
I don't know. I've never really had a love life, other than in like nursery with Ollie Fergus. Yes, I do remember his name. We were married for a week or two when we were three. But back to the subject.
I look Eliza right in her eye. "How do you feel about Alexander?"
She blushes a little. "I mean, he's handsome, funny, clever, kind... mostly.
I do have some feelings."
I think for a moment. "Can you imagine a future with him?"
She sighs. "I don't know. I mean he has the whole package as far as I can see. He's single, I think. The valentine's dance is in a few months, and I can imagine going to it with him. But he's practically a stranger."

We're silent for a few minutes.
"I like your room." Eliza says, to break the contemplation hanging in the room.
I like it too. The walls are a scarlet red colour, and the floor is the same, but a thick shaggy carpet. There's a big black framed window looking out onto the outskirts of the city. The room is a mess, littered with moving boxes, but we only moved here a month ago. So that'll clean up over time.
"Me too."
And we sit and think about Eliza's troubles.