Chapter 38

Kiyoko Aizawa's pov

"For the time being, I'll just wrap your arm to protect it, alright?" The EMT told me. I didn't reply. I looked at my knees as she wrapped my right arm. "How is it feeling? Luckily, the second degree burn is minimal. Only a centimeter or two here and there. But pretty much all of your arm has a first degree burn."

I didn't reply. I continued to look at my knees. Bakugou. What were they going to do to him? What could he endure?

"Hun, can you hear me? Can you talk?" The EMT asked. I looked back up at her. I blinked a couple times.

"I can talk," I muttered. I looked at the ground again, fearing for Bakugou. She scanned for other injuries and asked if I felt any pain anywhere. I shook my head. I felt like if I were to say anything I would scream or cry. After the the EMTs assessed everyone else, they fixed up my arm and left with those critically injured or unconscious. Eraser gathered us to head back to the classroom. We were all going to stay there before we assessed what the bus ride home was going to be like. As we walked to the front doors, I felt like I couldn't walk in. I stared at the door, feeling terrified for Bakugou. What if they...no. Stop. Thinking the worst will only tear you apart. We just need to wait for the pros to get him.

I stared at my feet and felt a sting in my eyes. I growled. "No, stop. You shouldn't be crying. You have no reason to cry," I snarled at myself. I pushed the heel of my palms into my eyes to stop myself from crying and took a deep breath.

The door in front of me shifted and I jumped. I got into a fighting stance and assessed the situation as quickly as possible. I slowly put my hands to my side as Todoroki slowly walked up to me. I looked down at the ground. While focusing on my feet, I saw a familiar hand appear in my vision. I stared at his hand. I slowly took my hand and rested it on top of his. His slightly cold hand wrapped around mine as he gently pulled me towards him. I let go of his hand and hugged him, burying my face in his chest.

I trembled a little as I gripped onto the back of his shirt, but I refused to cry. I took a couple deep breaths as he stroked my braids. After a couple minutes I loosened the embrace and looked at him. I looked into his eyes that I got lost in so easily. I had never noticed how much I did until now. He glanced at the door and nodded his head toward it. Without saying a word we walked in.

I looked at the rest of the students as they watched us come in. Kirishima and I locked eyes. He looked like he was in so much pain. My heart stung and I pursed my lips. He looked at the ground. I looked at him.

'Bakugou...it should have been me,'

My heart ached looking at him so sad. Todoroki guided me to a seat as I kept my eyes glued to the ground as Eraser continued giving us a run down of what was about to happen.

I'm sorry Kirishima. It's because of me.

———————

I sat in my bed with a blanket wrapped around my shoulder. Soft music was playing from my phone and I stared down at my palms. I couldn't do anything. I didn't sleep at all last night. Eraser left early for an emergency meeting at the school. Now it was just me and the cats. Atticus lay next to my right side, softly purring as I sat in despair. I heard a knock on the door that made me jump, scaring Atticus. I hesitantly walked to the door. I listened for another knock. I was terrified of opening it. A certain rhythm tapped on the door and I sighed. I opened it and looked at Todoroki. He held two coffees in his hands.

"You scared me," I mumbled.

"Sorry, I wasn't sure if I should do the knock or not," Todoroki replied. "Anyways, I'm going to the hospital to check up on everyone. I thought maybe you'd like to come along."