PHASE 17 - THAT ANTI-PEDOPHILE KICK IS PAINFUL!

I tried my best not to freak out. I blend in, go with the flow as I collect more information on what the heck is happening in this world.

After that fateful encounter on the beach, I ended up in the Solstice residence, which is an apartment near Myrrh City Beach. It must be ideal for Mr. Frederick to live in the beachfront since it’s also near the Black Cross Mansion, the main headquarters of all the Gate Guardians.

Here am I now, in the dining table, eating miso soup that my future father-in-law prepared. I didn’t notice how the food tastes like. I’m more wary of the surroundings.

The calendar tells me that it’s mid-May, almost the start of summer. Last time I remember, it was November before I went to the Underworld. Did I do a time skip? No. The calendar is way behind.

I mean ten years behind.

The other evidence that made me a little bit convinced about “time travel to the past” thing is the TV show which Diadem is watching. He’s watching a cartoon that has been discontinued a long time ago. 

This timeframe; this explains why Diadem is still an eight-year-old kid. That also explains why Mr. Fredrick Solstice still looks like a young and healthy playboy, who is currently flirting in the net via Myspace, Yahoo Mail, and Friendster. Yep, he’s emailing three different girls, asking all of them to send nudes.

“Hey, mister. What is your name?” The innocent Diadem asked when I finally finished my meal.

“I...I don’t remember.” I patted the boy’s head like a dog. “It seems like I had amnesia.”

“Ooooh. Maybe you came from a shipwreck or a plane crash, that explains why you have washed ashore.” Mr. Frederick joined the conversation. 

I have to hide my name from them. I have to lie. If my hypothesis of traveling ten years back is correct, then I shouldn’t let anyone get involved in me. If I should interact with people, I shouldn’t tell my name at least. I’ve watched enough time travel paradox movies. Anything I do here might change the future, which is usually undesirable.

Frederick sat in front of me and looked at my very eyes with his doubtful irises. The golden cross sigils on his eyes glowed. Then, he muttered words that only I can hear.

“You’re a Gate Guardian, just like me. Maybe you fought an Eidolon and got your head whacked or something.”

“Y-Yeah…” I forced a smile.

“Hey, come with me tomorrow. I’ll report to the Black Cross. Let’s see if we can find some records of you there.”

“N-N-No!” I waved my hands. “That’s not necessary at all. I think I have a clue about my real identity, so you don’t have to help. You’ve done enough, Mister Solstice.”

“Fine.” Frederick was easily persuaded. “But where would you start?”

“Kozukata Shrine,” I said.

“Kozukata Shrine, huh?” Frederick Solstice rubbed his cheek. “I-I’m sorry, I can’t go there.”

I know that he won’t accompany me if I go to Kozukata Shrine. Mr. Solstice wants to avoid getting seen by his daughter who resides in that very place as of this time. He's afraid that an eight-year-old Tiara would see him. Well, that works for me. At least I can investigate and assess all the situation alone.

<>

Three hours of traveling on the bus from Myrrh City to Heightsburg City, and a hundred steps until I reached the mountaintop. Finally, I set foot on the very shrine.