19: A Handful of Broken Pieces

Start from the beginning

"You're okay darling. Just slow down..."

I was shaking so intensely I could hardly grasp his shirt, even as I leant in to bury my face in his chest.

"M-make it s-s-stopp.." I sobbed. I could hear Seth sighing lightly and he curled his other arm around me.

"You just gotta breathe. Do it with me." He took a deep breath, then slowly let it out. I could hear his lungs working as I crumpled in his arms. My tears were staining his shirt.

He began a soft mantra of counting as he took deep breaths. I was willing to cling to anything I could to make it stop. I closed my eyes and tried to slow my mind, listening to Seth speak.

"Breath in....one, two...and out...one, two... Again. In...one, two....and out...one, two..."

Within minutes, I'd managed to calm my racing heart. I stopped shaking, and was able to comfortably cuddle into Seth's arms. I felt so tired, and so vulnerable.

"There, there. Good girl." He whispered softly, allowing me to fall asleep with his comfort.

----------

(Seth's P.O.V)

A little while later, after I managed to tuck Kelly back into bed in the infirmary, I handed off my clinic assistant duties for about an hour. There was many things I had to discuss with the team. Kelly couldn't be expected to continue to suffer like this, and if I had anything to do with it, I would make sure it stopped.

I sauntered down the hallway and turned into Ray's office, discovering him at his desk, while Sirius and Fenrir both stood near the various bookcases. They seemed to be meeting with him.

"Oh good! You're all here."

I surveyed the room. Sirius was still in a sling; his torn through bicep would take months to heal. He hadn't been exactly thrilled over the news at how long it would take for him to recover, but he was still keeping as busy as ever.

Fenrir, who stood beside him, looked tired. The emotional toll the final fight took on the 10 of Spades had really shaken him. I knew he wasn't sleeping well, and he looked like he was losing weight. Observing these changes, I knew later on I'd have to speak with him personally as well. Now more than ever we needed him in top shape.

Finally, I set my focus on the King of Spades. Of all the lieutenants in the room, he was the one I was most worried about. It had taken him about 3 days to come to after the fight with Amon, and rightfully so. After the number he and Amon had done on the area, the aftermath and cleanup of the entire Central Quarter was predicted to be months worth of work. Many were injured, and many were killed, and we were currently waiting for an official deathtoll, as well as the decision on where the blame sat. After all, the two largest and most violent Magical entities that were present that day were Amon and Ray.

And so, responsibility would fall on them two.

As I looked him over, I could tell that the war had changed him. The light in his eyes was gone. He wasn't the same happy, comedic Ray anymore. He too, hadn't slept wilfully since waking from his unconscious state. His skin was pale, and dark circles were forming under his eyes.

He looked on, devoid of emotion.

"Ray, we have to make the decision to inform Kelly of what happened."

The King of Spades stared at me - without a single reaction.

"Go on." Even his voice was stripped of its joy.

"It's been a week, and she is still having consistent panic attacks. I just came from calming her down for the third time today." I frowned.

"She's going to ask about Luka when she learns about what went on." Ray spun around in his desk chair so he could look out the window behind his desk.